Thread: Guages going crazy on my envoy

Guages going crazy on my envoy

my 02 envoy sometimes has the guages going crazy.i purchased this vehicle from my mom that lives in florida and it happend to her about a year and a half ago but not since untill i brought it home and all the sudden the guages went crazy and it wouldnt start i jumped it got it home it ran fine starts fine now but the guages were still crazy after restarting it about 10 times so then i unhooked the battery for a few and now its fine?? my mom said it just did it on her when it was cold not sure if she knows what she is talking about.

Platinum Member
    bad ground or faulty instrumentation panel. if it is all gauges, id lean to a bad panel.

check with the dealer see if it qualifies for the free cluster replacement
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Platinum Member
    ^^ what he said ^^

Here I go again a bad battery can make these newer cars do weird things.

ok replaced the altenator it tested bad so we will see if it fixes it but that still dont explain the guages doing the same thing a couple years ago i guess i will see and i will check on the cluster being replaced. thanks for all your info

It's probably the famous stepper motors. I got mine completely repaired at myairbags. Been working ever since

"wouldn't start" suggests to me that its not likely to be an instrumentation cluster. the kind of fault required to kill a battery requires a fair amount of electrical current...the heat associated with that kind of curent drain from your battery would have burnt something out inside your cluster if it was the cluster that took you vehicle into a dead battery state.

Next time your cluster starts going wonkers, check your the voltage at your battery while the engine is running, I'll bet that it is all over the place. If you don't have a multimeter, then check you headlights, if they are flickering or changing brightness, thats almost as good as having a multimeter show you the voltage going up and down.

If your voltage is all over the place, you either don't have a good regulator, or you have something in your system that is screwing with your main power so agressively that a good battery and good alternator is just not able to regulate it.