Thread: Urgent!! truck not starting!!!

Exclamation Urgent!! truck not starting!!!

two days ago when i went to leave the hardware store my truck would not start. It would roll over strong as it always does but it seemed like it wasn't getting any spark/fuel to get it running. I opened the hood and jiggled some wiring around and tried once more, and like the flick of a switch it just started without hesitation. It definitly seemed like there was a loose connection somewhere but i drove home hoping it wouldn't occur again....
    Well this morning it happened again, but this time it just wont fire, no matter how much i jiggle the wires . I took out a spark plug and i tested it for spark and it appears that it isnt getting any spark while the engine is rolling over. im very scared of electrical problems and am kinda new to owning a vehicle so i was wondering if there was a common problem with the distributor or some wiring that comes loose sometimes that's not easy to see? The engine runs smooth and never ran rough after it started at the hardware store, which i think means that the coil/spark plugs are still good.
    Last edited by blue_1500; 10-16-2009 at 04:40 PM.

What wires did you move around and what year truck and engine is this truck? We need more input now don't start replacing parts thinking that's it hang out and wait for answers.
    GMC

Platinum Member
    got to go with GMC on this one. which wires did you move the first time to get it to crank?? had a problem similiar to this once. turned out the coil wire broke inside the insulation and was not visually hurt. once i tried to remove the wire, it fell to pieces.

I played around with the volt meter last night and found that it was acually the pink wire from my ignition switch to the coil that had come loose. I didnt reach back and jiggle those wires the first time but i guess it was just a bad connection. thanks for the replies, I feel a little more confident in my diagnosis now

I'm glad you fixed it and thanks for letting us know what it was we all learned something today.