Thread: locking rear end

locking rear end

what would it cost to have a locking rear end for a 2001 2500hd ?

Depends on which locker or limited slip you want. And also what rear end you have. Do you want limited slip or a locker? Are you aware of the differances? Stumpuller has not been around in awhile, he is probably your best go to guy on that, although there are some others with good info too. I know a bit, but I know there are others that know more and have had more experience at it. If it were me, I'd choose to go for the locker instead of the limited slip. Although, lockers can be much nosier, and a bit uncomfortable on turns at times, but I think its still worth it. And if you feel you need a locking differntail for a purpose then go with something you know will be locked up when you need it to be, and not have to wait for some slipping to happen to first.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

Platinum Member
    another added cost, will you be doing this yourself?? paying someone to dive off into a pumpkin at times doesnt come cheap. there is alot there with little room for error.

If you get a stock one out of another truck somewhere down the line it's going to shell out if you keep the truck that long or if you get on it. Pay now or pay latter.

Yep, I think you are reffering to the G80 Gov Lock unit GMC.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

I don't know much about rear ends. I just bought this 2001 2500HD 2wd a few weeks ago. I had a problem while in my back yard with a heavy trailer. One wheel started spinning a lot in the wet grass and spun for a good 8 feet before I got to better ground. I plan on using this truck for hunting too, not mud bogging, but there will be some slightly muddy situations where I'd like to have both rear wheels pulling.
    As far as labor I won't be doing it myself.
    99% of this trucks use will be on-road where I really don't need both rear wheels pulling.
    Is there on that locks in after one wheels starts slipping? It that the limited slip?

perhaps this is what I need??

Detroit Truetrac Differentials

click on the truetrac video
    Products in Motion

well, after seeing this I'm not sure about the limited slip.... YouTube - Eaton Locking Differential Demonstration

maybe the G80 is the way to go

another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGlac...eature=related

more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PpZF77tgk

how do I tell what size rear end my truck has? Is there a code on a sticker somewhere to look for?
    and I'm assuming its an open differential unless something is broke inside, is there a code for that?

NoSPIN Differentials

heres Eatons version of an auto-locker
    Last edited by bradrhale; 10-18-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: too many posts

For the price, strength and durability, your best choice is likley to be the Detroit Locker. Its been proven over and over, and is very strong. I have hear of one rare occasion of one breaking. On the G80, yes it funcions just like the video shows, and it functions very well. Here is the problem though. Its not very strong, and it only works at low speed. So if all you want it for is a standard duty pick up and pulling a boat up a boat ramp then sure, the G80 is fine IF that is all you are going to use it for. I have an 80 model pickup right now with a G80 in it, and I can drive it down the driveway with one wheel up off the ground on a floor jack no problem. But this truck has obviously not been worked hard, had oversize tires, or high performance motor. This is what GMC above is reffering to when he says if you get one out of a stock truck (G80) since that is what GM uses as factory locking diff., it will shell out later on down the road.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

The common failure on the G80 is that it has an outter ring, kinda like a big bicycle sprocket. That sprocket likes to strip or break the teeth off. Once that happens, no more locking differential. The only good news about that, if it happens, it will not leave you stranded. It will just function like an open differential that you have now. Then someday when you are going to depend on your locking differential, it will not be there and you may not even know it until you are stuck.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20