Thread: 1998 gmc 454 hard starting question?

1998 gmc 454 hard starting question?

Im new to the site and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem as me and found a fix for it. I have a 1998 gmc 2500 with the 454 in it. I only drive it around 4 times a month and it sits in a heated garage. It will always start fine just seems like after its warm and i shut it off it takes a little more cranking to get it started agian then it should. Maybe 4-5 seconds before it starts. It also idles a little ruff and gets about 9 miles to the gallon. It has 107,000 on the clock. Truck has newer wires, plugs, fuel,and air filter within 8,000 miles but still same problem. Any help would be much much appreciated, love the truck just hate the starting problem!!!

Welcome aboard bowtiekilr.Take it to a shop and have the timing checked. 96 and newer uses a scan tool to time. regular timing light wont work. replace coolant temperature switch.

coolant temp switch? Why would that take excessive cranking? Hate to take it to a shop they are usually expensive. I was wondering if the fuel pressure regulater is letting fuel leak into the engine after it runs, thus flooding it? Maybe? just seems like when you try to start it cranks like a flooded carbed engine

check the voltage reading on the o2 sensor with a scan tool and see if it is marginal
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

I just pulled the plugs and they are clean look pretty much new. I also regapped the plugs from 60 to 40 thous to see if it cleans the idle up a little. how exactly do you check a ox sensor? Im not getting a check engine code. truck did it again, started right up drove it for 20 min then it sat in the cold 30 deg weather then when i tried to start it extensive cranking again before it started about 4-5 seconds before it started again.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtiekilr View Post
    I just pulled the plugs and they are clean look pretty much new. I also regapped the plugs from 60 to 40 thous to see if it cleans the idle up a little. how exactly do you check a ox sensor? Im not getting a check engine code. truck did it again, started right up drove it for 20 min then it sat in the cold 30 deg weather then when i tried to start it extensive cranking again before it started about 4-5 seconds before it started again.
    Just something to try cuz its cheap, try a bottle of Heet in your gas tank. It should dry up any water you might have in the line and freezing. With that big of a tank it may take 2 bottles, just read the directions and use it as directed.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

I know its not bad gas because its been doing this for about a year now, but thanks for the help!