Thread: 1992 GMC TBI to Carb

1992 GMC TBI to Carb

New to the site,been lurking for a while .I have a 92 GMC reg cab,5.7 with a 5 speed manual trans,160,000 miles,not my daily.I know this has been discussed before but here goes,I have a 350 motor already built with a 650 Holly carb I'm planning on swapping out complete,I know I'm going to have to put a fuel regulator on it,I'm thinking the 5 speed manual trans should work(correct me if I'm wrong),How hard will it be to bypass the computer and will my fuel,speedometer and RPM guages work when I do?I know everyone is going recommend swappin the TBI but I want to stay with the carb,just my preferance.This is a great site thanks in advance,

Bama Phil

IF THEY DON'T HAVE INSPECTIONS , try this
    link removed by mod
    Last edited by mudseeker; 03-07-2010 at 06:25 AM. Reason: please keep any forum links to PMs
    SHD

1989 GMC 1500 (PROJECT CHEAP TRUCK)

welcome to the forum.

Thanks

Thanks guys,I've been reading the site for quite a while picking up on a lot of helpful info,I'm not as knowledgeable(if thats a word)as alot of folks on here but hopefully one day I'll be able to pitch in.

Thanks again

What are your plans with the distributer? Going with an old style HEI ? You might have to unhook the check engine light. If you transfer the sending units the gauges should work.

Scav.

Auto Banned
    not that big of an issue. i have 92 chevy with old style engine. as stated, just change out senders so guages will work. i ran engine with 92 dizzy for a while and changed to old style hei. had to put fuel bypass regulator on carb to lower fuel pressure. put fuel pump block off plate where old pump was but ive heard you can run mech pump with return line. just have to add to existing fuel lines. and yes your check engine light will stay on. just remove bulb or put a piece of black tape over it. i just ignore mine. that manual tranny should bolt right up. ive got a few pics on my profile page. have a look.

Welcome to the forum and howdy from TEXAS. Your going to like it here it's one clean site to where kids are even on it which I think is alright. I say put on some good heads and a slight cam to where you can hear it before you put it in.
    http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae98/falken86/dadnew-1.jpg

I 'm going with a HEI distributor.

Auto Banned
    good choice. just hook your tach wire to the tach post on cap. should work just fine. after putting on MSD ign i had to use tach signal from MSD. still no problem.