Thread: Suspensions: Z71 Offroad vs HD Handling/Trailering

Suspensions: Z71 Offroad vs HD Handling/Trailering

I am looking at trading my 2007 "Classic" 2500HD 8.1L on a 2010 Silverado or Sierra Duramax.

GM Canada incentives right now are $8K factory discount plus $750 Goodwrench Credit plus $1K Owner Appreciation Bonus. Tough to pass on that!!

The only problem is that factory order cutoff is long past. My dealer found one that is very close to my ideal spec with the major difference being it has Z71 Off Road Suspension and I really want the LTZ/SLT included Heavy Duty Handling/Trailering Suspension.

I know what’s in the packages but can anybody tell me what the difference is in spring rates, ride height etc.etc.

Thanks

GJ

Platinum Member
    not sure that i follow you. the truck i had sported the Z71 package as well as being having the LT package. only real problem i had was keeping the carpet clean.

The Z71 pkg is mostly a trim pkg. Very little if any suspension change from stock. The hd suspension pkg I believe is an adjustable handling pkg. Can adjust ride from switch on dash.

Platinum Member
    how can the Z71 be a trim package if the sticker says Z71 Off Road Suspension Package?? or are you talking about the LTZ package?? the LTZ package, if not mistaken, comes with electric everything and pretty much every option interior wise for that model year. cadillac model, if you will.

Well could be wrong I guess. Had it on my old truck and looked into it. As far as I could find out from asking around and checking the codes in the glove box it was some side molding fender trim and decals.

Platinum Member
    it is supposed to come with different shocks, skid plate, something other than an open differential and i believe some steering stabilizer arm. but that is best of my memory, or what is left of it. as for the LTZ package, i really dont know what all it comes with. my LT had leather heated seats, heated mirrors, digital rear view and a few other cool things.

Sounds like you have more background with this than I. My new truck is an sle and it has the same skid plates and steering as my z71 but could have been options I guess. I did not purchase it new. Regardless I think the hd suspension pkg is an adjustable handling pkg and significantly different than the options that come on the z71 pkg.

Z-71 means skid plates, if 4x4, special jounce bumpers on the frame rails, and higher spring rates,and special monotube High pressure Gas Shocks......Stiffer...

Z71 OFF-ROAD PACKAGE, includes (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package, (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, (NZZ) Skid Plate Package and (K47) high-capacity air cleaner (Requires (QJP) P265/70R17 on-/off-road, blackwall tires, (QJM) P265/70R17
    1993 GMC Sierra (RIP)
    186k miles - She'll be missed. But loving the 2009.