Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 sierra oil use

Thanks again for all the replys. As far as seeing smoke, I look for it every time I drive and dont ever see any. I am glade that a few members agree and think the amount of oil loss is excessive. The dealer siad that they were going to talk to there tech people and get back to me but they have not yet which is no suprise. I am going to start calling the numbers in the mannuals like was sugested and I will let everyone know what I find out.

wow, i don't like that at all, thats a LOT of oil not to be seeing any smoke.
    Since this is under warranty I would, as suggested make some calls... were it not under warranty i would be checking the plugs to see if it is burning the oil.. because if it isnt, it HAS to be going somewhere... I am surprised they are letting you drive that.. being two quarts low is not good. They are taking a chance on losing that engine. When i was doing warranty work, I'd have been looking for the problem and fixing it, before we had to do a warranty engine. I would worry that they are going to say you knew about the problem if the engine goes away and not warranty it.... I do not know your dealer or how good they are to you, this may not be the case at all, but i left a dealership after only 28 days of working there because they had this very attitude. Keep records names and times. I hope they take good care of you!

I don't know if this helps any but I had a 4.6 Ford engine that went thru a quart every 500 miles. I never noticed any smoke either. It was out of warranty but a buddy told me the problem was the valve seals. I replaced them and solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachwalker View Post
    Thanks again for all the replys. As far as seeing smoke, I look for it every time I drive and dont ever see any. I am glade that a few members agree and think the amount of oil loss is excessive. The dealer siad that they were going to talk to there tech people and get back to me but they have not yet which is no suprise. I am going to start calling the numbers in the mannuals like was sugested and I will let everyone know what I find out.
    Hound them till they fix it write down every persons name that you talk to in fact make a log of all the calls times and dates. What they might want you to do is get sick of calling them but don't fall for that. I would call the 1-800 number in the owners manuel. From now on have the dealership change your oil and when it needs some oil save your receipts because there going to want proof.
    http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae98/falken86/dadnew-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Beachwalker View Post
    Hello, I have a 2009 sierra with 25000 miles. Between every 5000 mile oil change, I have to add 3 qt of oil. As any one else had this happen. I have looked and looked and have no oil leaks. I bought the truck new last summer and has done this the hole time.
    I was just curious if you were able to get this corrected or not? I purchased the same truck last fall and mine uses 1-2 qts. every 2000 miles and has a blue smoke sometimes from the exhaust. I have been told by the dealer that this was completely normal but I have never seen any new vehicle use oil like this. I have contacted GM to push this further because I can't see paying $30,000 for something that uses more oil than a clunker does. I love my truck but I also want it to last.

That's why I still have my old 17 year old truck with 174K she still doesn't use oil. Knock on wood.

He hasn't posted since May I hope he checks in with us.
    Last edited by gmctrucks; 10-27-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: add
    http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae98/falken86/dadnew-1.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12