Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Oldmech
  • 1 Post By crabtruck

Thread: vacuum hose diagram for 1985 gmc high sierra 1500

vacuum hose diagram for 1985 gmc high sierra 1500

I have 1985 Gmc High Sierra 1500 pick up with quadrojet carb and i need the vacuum hose diagram because my hoses are ruined and i have no idea what goes where,...fixing to rebuild the carb and want to fix this issue as well,....anyone know where i can find this diagram? Ill attach a pic of carb incase im not adding something,...new to this. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

OK I found what i was looking for,...ill post the link for anyone who may have the same problem.| Repair Guides | Vacuum Diagrams | Vacuum Diagrams | AutoZone.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by atorturedmess; 08-15-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting the diagram. I needed it. Lol

Oh man.... Now I am going to have to see my shrink before I can sleep without nightmares....
    If you have a truck with that set up... don't rebuild that carb... get a non computerized one, and replace the HEI with an earlier model, also non computerized... after that, you will need a vac line to the HEI, the trans, and one to the brake booster.... Looks cleaner, runs better and you dont have to be an italion pasta chef to fix your truck!!!
    Crazzy Z likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmech View Post
    Oh man.... you dont have to be an italion pasta chef to fix your truck!!!
    That's the kind of quote that keeps me reading so many posts.
    Crazzy Z likes this.

TJD
    Thanks.
    Looks just like my Sierra, 1986, GMC, 1500 Suburban, 350. Has automatic and air, carburetor, vacuum advance distributor, no catalytic converter, no computer.
    I have just removed the EGR from mine.
    Now I want to remove, (names of parts taken from the diagram above), The EFE/DISTR TVS, the EGR bleed sol, EGR/purge TCC TVS, and anything else I can take off of that engine. And I have many questions, the least of which is what do I do with and how do I reconnect all of those vacuum hoses? So has anyone out there done that and if so can you point me to threads where I can read about what needs to be done? I am about to remove the smog pump too. I know that there are two pipes that lead to the manifold which have to be plugged. Also the belt issue, mine has a dedicate belt so that is not a problem. What else do I need to know before I do that?

When I removed the EGR the performance of my old rig quadrupled. All I did was unbolt it, fashion a plate for the manifold and plug the vacuum port. Was there anything else I should have done or should do now?

A local mechanic whose reputation I know well has offered to strip all of that off of the motor for me, not on paper, for about $300. I think that's a lot and I don't have those kinds of coins to throw around. But after talking to him I know I have only gone part way. I want to do the rest. Thanks for any help.

TJD

Thanks. but It dont have a purge canister. Now it wants to stall out when it hits 25 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Crazzy Z View Post
    Thanks. but It dont have a purge canister. Now it wants to stall out when it hits 25 mph
    What are You working on Crazzy ??? what have You done to it ???
    Might be good to start a new thread on this issue, just a suggestion though.
    It possibly could be the fuel filter.

Quote Originally Posted by TJD View Post
    Thanks.
    Looks just like my Sierra, 1986, GMC, 1500 Suburban, 350. Has automatic and air, carburetor, vacuum advance distributor, no catalytic converter, no computer.
    I have just removed the EGR from mine.
    Now I want to remove, (names of parts taken from the diagram above), The EFE/DISTR TVS, the EGR bleed sol, EGR/purge TCC TVS, and anything else I can take off of that engine. And I have many questions, the least of which is what do I do with and how do I reconnect all of those vacuum hoses? So has anyone out there done that and if so can you point me to threads where I can read about what needs to be done? I am about to remove the smog pump too. I know that there are two pipes that lead to the manifold which have to be plugged. Also the belt issue, mine has a dedicate belt so that is not a problem. What else do I need to know before I do that?

When I removed the EGR the performance of my old rig quadrupled. All I did was unbolt it, fashion a plate for the manifold and plug the vacuum port. Was there anything else I should have done or should do now?

A local mechanic whose reputation I know well has offered to strip all of that off of the motor for me, not on paper, for about $300. I think that's a lot and I don't have those kinds of coins to throw around. But after talking to him I know I have only gone part way. I want to do the rest. Thanks for any help.

TJD
    The air pump{s} can be removed, also remove the air pumps manifold from the exhaust manifold, there are plugs that can be screwed into the holes. if You do`nt have to pass emissions in Your area.

It was running great but the carb had a crack in it so I bought a new one, but my future son-in-law decided to chang it. In the process he took it to his dad to fix the vacuum hose leak and retime it, now I can't get it to run right. Lol I think I will check the timing, haven't done that yet. Thanks
    Btw it has to pass emission's.