Thread: 95 gmc sierra 1500 5.7 liter random stalling, random sluggishness, and chugging.

95 gmc sierra 1500 5.7 liter random stalling, random sluggishness, and chugging.

i bought this truck from my step dad about 5 months ago. he was the first owner and never had any issues with it. However he did use it for hauling scrap metal and other strenuous jobs. it wasn't exactly taken care of in other words. when it wasn't working anymore is when he finally would do something with it. as long as it did his job it worked.
    Now since it has been in my posession i noticed a problem right away that has drove me ******* crazy. When the truck starts up first thing in the morning she purrs. drives fine for about 10 or so minutes and then it gets a little sluggish. as long as i'm giving it a good amount of gas it doesn't really faze me. So right away i gave it a full tune-up. plugs,wires,distributor cap,rotor,coil,oil change,fuel filter, and air filter. This helped very little, yes i had a bit more power because honestly that **** hadn't been changed in years. truck would still get a little sluggish. when i say sluggish i mean it jerks at certain points while going down the road. When i slow down it sometimes stalls, but guaranteed to sounds and feel like its going to. slow speeds the truck sounds sick. So i was told maybe my timing was off. I took it in and got the timing set. Once again helped a little. so next i was told change your iac valve and tps. both are brand new. this changed speed but not the overall performance of my truck. Now when the truck stalls, it takes anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour to start and the only way it will start is if you have the gas peddle mashed to the floor. I've cleaned the throttle body, i've also changed my fuel to a higher octane, and when i'm not able to do that i make sure i have something to put in my tank. i've done nothing but baby this truck and take care of it. it has a bit of miles on it. 250,000 miles but you can hear its strong it just has something getting in the way.
    I need to get this figured out. i'm tired of sinking money into it. i only paid $1500 for the truck and i've put $2500 worth of parts into it. not all from the same issue but alot of them. Please all suggestions are welcome. One last thing i don't know if it will help. The truck has been turning over really hard almost like the starter is going out, i had the starter tested and its fine. don't know if this will help.

have you had the cat checked when its cool your truck will run fine but when it heats up it may be getting plugged up it will run like **** if this happens

It the fuel pump!

Quote Originally Posted by gmc1500 View Post
    i bought this truck from my step dad about 5 months ago. he was the first owner and never had any issues with it. However he did use it for hauling scrap metal and other strenuous jobs. it wasn't exactly taken care of in other words. when it wasn't working anymore is when he finally would do something with it. as long as it did his job it worked.
    Now since it has been in my posession i noticed a problem right away that has drove me ******* crazy. When the truck starts up first thing in the morning she purrs. drives fine for about 10 or so minutes and then it gets a little sluggish. as long as i'm giving it a good amount of gas it doesn't really faze me. So right away i gave it a full tune-up. plugs,wires,distributor cap,rotor,coil,oil change,fuel filter, and air filter. This helped very little, yes i had a bit more power because honestly that **** hadn't been changed in years. truck would still get a little sluggish. when i say sluggish i mean it jerks at certain points while going down the road. When i slow down it sometimes stalls, but guaranteed to sounds and feel like its going to. slow speeds the truck sounds sick. So i was told maybe my timing was off. I took it in and got the timing set. Once again helped a little. so next i was told change your iac valve and tps. both are brand new. this changed speed but not the overall performance of my truck. Now when the truck stalls, it takes anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour to start and the only way it will start is if you have the gas peddle mashed to the floor. I've cleaned the throttle body, i've also changed my fuel to a higher octane, and when i'm not able to do that i make sure i have something to put in my tank. i've done nothing but baby this truck and take care of it. it has a bit of miles on it. 250,000 miles but you can hear its strong it just has something getting in the way.
    I need to get this figured out. i'm tired of sinking money into it. i only paid $1500 for the truck and i've put $2500 worth of parts into it. not all from the same issue but alot of them. Please all suggestions are welcome. One last thing i don't know if it will help. The truck has been turning over really hard almost like the starter is going out, i had the starter tested and its fine. don't know if this will help.
    It's the fuel pump same thing happened to me on my 95 GMC

my truck is doing exactly the same thing as yours i have changed fuel pump, o 2 sensor, all sensors on motor, plugs, wires , and distributor, truck is working a bit better but still acting the same just wondering if you ever found the problem.

Blog Entries
    Do you have a check engine light? What is happening ..after ten minutes or till truck gets to operating temp .
    Ecm/ computer takes over ..when first started ecm in open loop warm goes in closed loop .
    When it picks some sensor or fuel not right probably going to limp mode.
    Does yours have symptom of not starting back till cooled down?

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

wonder if he did fix it ....been over a year and no post back!

ray old posts are information, always better to read them and start your own thread, sometimes yoou may post something a little different and it gives a better clue

welcome to the forum...lots of help here
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

distributor is going out, had that exact problem with my s-10 blazer