Thread: GMC Rusting Brake Lines/Possible Recall

GMC Rusting Brake Lines/Possible Recall

Does anyone have any current info about the possible recall for rusting brake lines in 1999 to 2003 GMC Sierra and other GM vehicles as reported in January 2011 in NYTimes below:
    -------------------------------------------
    Expressing concern about rusting brake lines rupturing and causing crashes, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has intensified an investigation into almost 1.8 million General Motors pickups and S.U.V.’s.In a filing posted last weekend on the N.H.T.S.A. Web site, the agency said the models covered in the so-called engineering analysis include the 1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado, Avalanche, Suburban and Tahoe, as well as the GMC Sierra and Yukon.Upgrading an investigation to an engineering analysis means the agency is worried about its preliminary findings. That is a step closer to a recall, although sometimes the agency discovers the concern is not warranted and the investigation is closed without additional action.In correspondence last year, the automaker told the safety agency that even if a brake line rusted through, the trucks should be able to stop safely.However, in the new filing, the agency said it had 26 reports from owners of increased stopping distances that reportedly resulted in crashes and 10 others in which the “vehicle was intentionally steered off the road or into another lane of travel to avoid a crash.”G.M. Trucks Investigated for Rusting Brake Lines - NYTimes.com
    Last edited by douglas92000; 11-14-2011 at 05:19 AM. Reason: clarity

The only brake lines not done on my 97 GMC Sierra are over the RR axel. I was lucky 2 years ago. Front R line popped went to floor, wouldn't pump up, heaeded for the rear of a car, looked to the oncoming lane, empty, cut left missing rr of car by paint job, went 50 feet and cut sharp into side street. Whew! Drove home 30 mi. w/ e brake.

I took my daughter on a trip on the expressway 2 hours up and back.
    Next time I left the driveway, brakes went out,rolled out in street. Rusted through brake lines.

Had 25,000 miles. Brake job cost $2500.00 from dealer. New brakes rotors ABS module and another module. Sent letters to gm they paid $1700.00. Still cost me $800.00 dollars

Brake lines went out at 42,000 miles. Last year. Dont drive my truck much sits inside a garage most of the time that is dry.

Went to inlinetube and ordered all new stainless brake lines. Did the job this summer.
    Took off bed.
    Big project.
    My whole frame was rusted, put rust converter on all that.

By brakes now suck. They need bled for the 10th time trying to get all the air out.

1975 chevy half ton
    !990 gmc 1/2 ton 4x4 - great truck 350 engine
    1999 gmc 1/2 ton 4x4

Next truck will be a ford

Straightleg