Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 wheel drive shaking

4 wheel drive shaking

I have 1995 GMC 1500 4x4 5.7L. When i drive it in two wheel drive everything runs smoothly. When I engage it into 4 wheel drive and accelerate my front end shakes. It feels like it is coming from the front axle. What should I do first to eliminate possible problems before I go out and spend money on things i might not need to buy?

go under the front and start shaking stuff is the cheapest thing i can tell you to do but if you have independent front end then check boots for cracks if you see bad boot may have bad joint you can also jack it up put in 4 lo move tire forward and backwards to see if slack in joint .if no bad joints then check front drive shaft for bad universal joint. unless the front has been in damage then it should be one or the other
    A day you don't learn something is a day wasted

^^^^^^ What he says. Check the universal joints in the front driveshaft and also the slip joint.

Well i went and test drove the truck, got it all warm and tried the 4 wheel drive out and guess what, it ran smoothly. I am not sure what it is, but next week I am going to order a new actuator for the tranfer case just to be on the safe side. There is supposed to be one on the front diff and one on the T-case. Is this the right info? I just don't know why one day it would do this and another day it didn't...confused...by the way, thanks for all your guys help.

Blog Entries
    Best to lock all in run some few times a month... turning wheels ect. Things will lock up with rust ect.

make sure the spline for the front driveshaft is moving freely
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Che cked the spline on the front drive shaft and the universal joints and everything looks and feels like they are in good working condition. The cv joint boots look like they are brand new. Anyother suggestions of what it could be?

the drive shaft may be out of balance or bent cv shaft may be bent. do you notice it more when you turn ,apply brakes or at certain speed??

also do you notice a little shake when out of 4 wheel or anything that seem like a wheel out of balance..?
    A day you don't learn something is a day wasted

I only noticed the shaking when I accelerated or whenever my foot was on the gas. When I am out of 4 wheel drive everything is smooth feeling. I am going to service the front diff and the rear axle, just for maintanence purposes.

if you are on dry roads it will give it a funny feeling.....front tires pull while the back push...how is it on a slippery surface?
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast