Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I keep killing the battery.

I keep killing the battery.

I have a 2000 Yukon XL, 5.3. Over the last couple of years, after about 6 months with a new battery, I have to jump it. I just got another, sat for two days, and dead. None of the kids stuff is plugged in, nothing is running that I can see. I have continued to check the charge system and it's fine. I load test the battery and it is fine for the first 6 months or so. I keep getting the batteries replaced for free as it pass's the charging system test at the battery place, but I have to keep a battery jump box with me.

I also have an ABS code that points to a bad ground, may or may not be connected.

Is there an easy way to check the ground? To jump it, you have to use the alternator bracket. When I charge the battery, it seems easier just to use the small post on the side because the charger does not like that ground.

I'm sure this one of those "duh" moments on my part, but would appreciate any help.

Thanks

start pulling fuses and see what sparks.....have you checked things like glove box light?...any add ones that may have a draw..ie snow plow?
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Have you replaced the battery graound cable?
    Terry

'69 VW Bug
    '93 GMC Sierra 1500 X Cab now my Daughters ride
    '96 Chevy Suburban
    '99 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab big block farm truck

Blog Entries
    Are you sure your getting 14.5 volts from the alternator? Clean grounds good.

Thank you for all the tips. Have a couple of questions, some are stupid, but just want to make sure.

1. Pulling the fuse's and looking for a spark will show me if I am draining somewhere I didn't know?
    2. Yes to the 14.something, I will put my glasses on, I can see it is around 14.5-8
    3. I have not replaced the battery ground, but being 11 years old and 170k, certainly sounds reasonable. Is there a way to check or just do it? It goes underneath the engine, easily or semi accessible?

Thank you again!

What is the total volts in the battery with nothing on, key off? This will take some help, keep reading the battery voltage, and remove fuses till the battery volts will rise when you pull a fuse that is draining the battery. Also make sure all your lights are off, inside, hood lights, sometimes door switches, or hood light switch will short out and even though its closed the light is still on and will drain a good battery in a couple days.

May also take it have have the alt tested to make sure its charging, it could be the alt is bad and not chargeing the battery to keep up, or the alt is bad and can't keep up with the demands of the electrical system so the battery has to be used there fore it gets drained.
    1994 white ext cab chevy silverado 5.7 rolling 230k miles
    stock with air filter lid flipped,
    open flowing exhaust to a 40 series flowmaster dumped.
    God Bless America, Support our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider73068 View Post
    What is the total volts in the battery with nothing on, key off? This will take some help, keep reading the battery voltage, and remove fuses till the battery volts will rise when you pull a fuse that is draining the battery. Also make sure all your lights are off, inside, hood lights, sometimes door switches, or hood light switch will short out and even though its closed the light is still on and will drain a good battery in a couple days.

May also take it have have the alt tested to make sure its charging, it could be the alt is bad and not chargeing the battery to keep up, or the alt is bad and can't keep up with the demands of the electrical system so the battery has to be used there fore it gets drained.
    Thanks, here is where I am.

Will a bad ground affect the alternator out put?
    I have a power probe III, greatest tool in the world, was easy to test fuse's, no drain.
    When I check the alternator, I'm getting around 14, which is fail, that's why I ask about the ground.

Thanks

what does it read with a load...lights,heater, defogger
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

I heard that sometimes the On-Star gives that type of a problem check into it..
    http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae98/falken86/dadnew-1.jpg

Here is the latest. I checked all of the fuses in the driver side door panel and under the hood. Nada for sparks or draw. I am getting 14.7 out of the alternator. I load tested the battery, it passed. Tonight I changed out the battery and went with an Interstate Megatron with Dual Posts. Need the extra terminals so I can put in the electric winch connector for the boat.

I need to check the draw on my sirrius radio. It plugs into one of the cig adapters. I turned it on and off while checking the load, no change. Now I was only using one decimal point, so I guess I could us a regular volt meter for a more accurate read. The ground seems good when I check it. Maybe the reality is a cheap battery is a cheap battery, and the Interstate will do the job. I do need to turn off power to the on star. It's analogue so it is worthless. Working on the truck tonight just reinforced how much I love this beast. Maybe I should put a Snorkle on it, for you know, just in case LOL. Now have to figure out how to aim the headlights. There are messed up.

I do have to check it with a load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast