Thread: Changing out passenger side headlight bulb in 2008 GMC Sierra

MRB

Changing out passenger side headlight bulb in 2008 GMC Sierra

Hi new to forum here and have a problem with my 2008 GMC 4X4 1/2 ton pick up. I had noticed the other day that the passenger side low beam headlamp was out on my 2008 GMC p/u and today bought a replacement lamp and went to change it out myself. It's a no go and the owners manual is no help. I contacted the dealer and they charge $75.00 to do this. Wow!! I've owned vehicles since 1970 and have never paid anyone to change out a headlight bulb, but now it seem as this it what must be done. Maybe I'm missing something here but I can't see how to do it. My 2000 Chevy Silverado is easy with the pins and I can change out the headlight lamps in about 20 seconds. Whats up with the 2008 GMC?

So what must I do to change out these bulbs?????? Any help will be appreciated.

you need to release the housing and pull the whole thing out to do it....maybe 10 min to do
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

MRB
    Quote Originally Posted by leolkfrm View Post
    you need to release the housing and pull the whole thing out to do it....maybe 10 min to do
    O.K. So how do I release the housing to get to the lamp? The dealer wants $75.00 to do it and two places say the manual says it takes 8/10ths of an hour to do it. One place says they have to remove the grill, radiator bracket, and air cleaner box to access it . Then they have to unscrew a couple of bolts from the top of the housing and hinge it down to remove it from the vehicle to access the bulbs in the housing. I just cant see how to do it. Think I'll go the the dealer and pay and see if I can watch them do it so as I'll be able to do it next time.

I would buy a Haynes repair manual that covers the 2008 GMC Sierra. Haynes usually gives good step by step instructions for jobs like this.

MRB
    Well I went to the dealer with hat in hand I told them I have to give up my man card for this and out of pitty they showed me how to change it out in a couple of minuets or less for no charge. Or instead of pitty, it could have been that I've bought 6 trucks from them since 2008. To get better access to the back of the passenger side of the headlight housing the guy simply pushed down and back on the air cleaner housing firmly and somewhat jerking it back and forth it unsnapped or un hooked from some unseen bracket underneath it holding it in place. He left the duct from the injector hat on the air cleaner box and pushed the box enough out of the way but you can remove the clamp and now totally remove the box if you wanted a bit more room and visibility to do the job. Now you can get your hand down the backside of the headlight housing alot easier and get to the various bulbs that you may have to get to for replacement. I have to say if you have large hands like me it still is a bit of a struggle but at least you can get to them. I only slightly cut my hand in a couple of places but was able to get to the bulb and replace it without tearing half the front of the truck off like the book said. The air cleaner box was a little tough to re engage into the hooks holding it underneath it but with some strength and determination you can muscle and beat it back into the hooks to hold it back in place. For the dirvers side I have a battery tray thats not used (it's for a second battery for a towing package option this truck doesn't have) and the washer fluid bottle which the bottle neck is in the way. The bottle has to be loosened or removed to access the back of the headlight housing on the dirvers side and is a little bit tougher to get to the bulbs than the passenger side but it is doable with a bit more effort. Of course if you have the second battery for the towing package option you have to remove the battery. Anyhow the dealer showed me how to do it somewhat easy/quick and now I can change out the bulbs on both sides when I need to without going through a major change of life.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting that mrb.

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....
    IF I CAN GET YOU TO SMILE BEFORE I LEAVE.