Thread: outside edge of front tires wearing?

Question outside edge of front tires wearing?

so this 1996 K2500 long box 4X4 I have had for about three or so years is wearing the outside of the front tires, had it into Kal-Tire here and in a mechanical check at that time they said all was good and so was the alignment, but that it was caused by not rotating the tires, I don't recall normally rotating tires, and any two wheel drive vehicle I have had never showed this type of wear, so is this what happens on a 4X4 truck and is normal and that one can prevent it by rotating tires?
    And if so, how often should one rotate tires?
    Thanks.

Depends on how fast they are wearing..... most people will so it every other oil change.... I have a few truck I service that I rotate them once a month.... but, im betting you have something wrong in the front end.

Thanks for the quick reply, I am at work, but checked my previous posts and see I got the truck in feb 2009, and I have never rotated the tires, so the wear is probably normal, but I might run out at break time and take a picture, and it will show how it looks after all this time.
    I also notice with a four by four that when I turn sharp I feel like the tires slip or something as if the way they are made with the front axles they have more play when turning, if that makes sense.
    It is like the tire and hub and all must not be as solid as my old ford solid axle two wheel drives.

Blog Entries
    Usually tires wearing on outside alignment is toed out to much..or camber is out.
    Camber is the way a tire/wheel leans ..to wear on outside ..top of tire is leaning out .
    Can put a short level on tire ..see the lean. Tires that are not rotated and keep pressure check on those..and alignment is good will wear even.
    These shops if trucks are 10 years and older ..do not want to mess withem.
    Plus most have no ideal how to align. Take it to a another shop .
    Be nosy ..ask them about being toed out ..maybe camber ...ask them if caster wold do it.
    If they say caster might do it then they have no ideal. Caster is when a vehicle pulls left or right.
    I use to align vehicles ...probably get a better alignment with a tape measure and level ..than the machines.

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

yes 4x4 need the tires rotated more so than 2wd....as you turn they have a differant path to follow compared to 2wd and will wear the edge....a good 4 wheel alignment here cost me about $90 plus parts
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

The wear pattern on the outside is most likely caused by the reasons mentioned above. You mentioned that since you haven't rotated them since owning it and that being the cause of the wear is not correct. You should have the tires wearing evenly no matter if you rotate them or not. Given that you have this wear pattern, rotating the tires will just do the same to the other tires. Fix the cause if you want to get the most life from your tires.

Quote Originally Posted by partsman View Post
    so this 1996 K2500 long box 4X4 I have had for about three or so years is wearing the outside of the front tires, had it into Kal-Tire here and in a mechanical check at that time they said all was good and so was the alignment, but that it was caused by not rotating the tires, I don't recall normally rotating tires, and any two wheel drive vehicle I have had never showed this type of wear, so is this what happens on a 4X4 truck and is normal and that one can prevent it by rotating tires?
    And if so, how often should one rotate tires?
    Thanks.
    Okay, here are pictures, on of the right and one of the left tire.

Blog Entries
    You need a alignment...either toed in too much or camber is off . Tires do not wear like this even if not rotated or low on air.

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

it looks like you have your torsion bars jacked up past their limit. if so then the tires will be aligned when going straight but around a turn they will carve different paths or you have some bad upper contol arm mounts that are moving around under the load of turning.