Thread: Growling sound coming from the front. Help!!!

Growling sound coming from the front. Help!!!

I have a 2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali with 150k miles. I'm experiencing growling sounds coming from the front (what seems to be front left). It happens on acceleration, deceleration and coasting. I can even hear it going about 5mph, just a lot slower growling. Front wheel bearings have no play and were replaced about 30k miles ago. I also tried to move the CV's by hand and don't seem to have any play. Could it be a output shaft bearing or something internal to the diff or transfer case? Thank you in advance for any suggestions...

Blog Entries
    Sounds are hard for us to diagnose we can not hear what your hearing. See if it does it when truck coasting in neutral.
    Check all fluids in transmission..transfer case ...front differential. Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Sound travels get a helper try to pin point better.

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

Yes it does it in neutral. Last time I changed out the diff fluid (30k miles ago) there were a good amount of metal in the gear lube. Enough to cause the gear lube to have a silverish color. Could this of caused the bearings to go bad?

Blog Entries
    Yup metal came from some source. Take cover off inspect all in the diff. See if you can pin point the sound better with help.
    Put the front off ground turn all. Welcome to the forum.

Check for a stone which can get lodged between rotor and stone deflector shield on inside of hub. Been there, done that.

Thank you for the replies. Jacked the front and manually rotated the wheels... turns out the diff bearing is completely shot.

Blog Entries
    Well seems you have some work to do ..glad you found out the prob.
    And thanks for posting back tyson098 ..need more help we will be glad to try and help.

If you have the sealed hubs with the abs sensors, I found this website that tells how to pack them. Courtsara :: Home

Blog Entries
    I guess this is what your talking about in the tip section had to click on all to see what you were saying.

Yes its in the tip section with pictures and instructions. Also, I have two ways of checking wheel bearings. One is driving the truck at about 20 to 30 mph. Zig zag from side to side and notice if it gets quieter on one side or the other when you do this. If it gets quieter when you go to the right its the right wheel bearing if quieter to the left its the left. The reason being because you are throwing the weight of the vehicle to the outside and lightening up on the inside wheel. The other way I use is if you jack up the vehicle so the wheels are off the ground, spin the wheel and put your hand on the a-frame. If you feel a vibration the bearing is going bad. I use this method to confirm what I find on the road test. Now if there is even the slightest tinge of vibration the bearing is failing. If its slight you can pack it the way its done on the website and it will fly. If its past that, no amount of packing will save it.