Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chevychase

Thread: 1995 GMC K1500 4x4 mud truck

1995 GMC K1500 4x4 mud truck

Overheated the other day. Looked as though steam was coming from oil filter adapter? (Is that possible). Could feel the air but could not see completely. Yep, burn hand anyway. Freeze plug looks good just above it. But thinking it is probably headgasket. Thinking of using that stealseal gasket sealer. Anythingelse I should be looking for? Thanks for any advise.

Blog Entries
    Check the oil for water contamination will be milky looking...check all hoses for leaks/pin holes.
    Check thermostat maybe stuck. If gasket leak not to big the leak stuff works...but follow instruction.
    If you don,t flush most does not mix with antifreeze..water only .
    Freeze plug may have a pin hole ..run truck watch close to find area that it may be leaking at.
    Should do a pressure test on cooling system.
    Welcome to the forum
    Boudin likes this.

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

Ouch. I hate hearing of overheat problems. Chevychase covered all the usual checks. Key here is to determine the damage without causing more damage (or as little as possible) in the diagnosis process. I hope it isn't "catastrophic" (head gasket, etc), but I think it might be. Let us know what you find and what we can offer as far as advice to be able to help you get it fixed.

Thanks for the advise. Grandkids are gone for the day was able to get it checked out better. Freeze plug above the oil filter adapter has nice size hole in it. Thank you Lord that it wasn't worse. Thinking of using the stealseal as a preventitive. Have watched this Scotty Kilmer guy on Youtube. Says to add some when you change antifreeze every threes years. Now I can replace the A/c compressor. That is a whole other problem. I have no air or heat. Replaced one modulator under dash near gas peddal and changed out the control box on the dash. Will start with heater core and go from there. I do appreciate your help. Look forward to chatting with you all about this truck. Would like to keep it and just fix it up. When I figure out how to download a picture of it I will.

That's great you found that hole, but I wouldn't stop looking at that point. You really need to continue checking as much as you can to determine how much damage you have. I'm not sure how hot she got or what the series of events was on the overheat....but you certainly need to be keeping a close eye on the oil and how it looks.

I wouldn't worry about that steelseal stuff right now. You really need to do some diagnosing before you would even consider a product like this. Personally, I wouldn't ever consider using it at all, but that's just me. If you still plan on doing it anyway.... DO NOT USE THIS STUFF IF YOU HAVE DEXCOOL COOLANT IN YOUR TRUCK. You will be needing a new radiator as well as some other parts real soon as it will react with the dexcool and create a white, waxy substance that will clog everything. I wouldn't even consider using it if you ever had dexcool in your truck. You have bigger fish to fry first before considering a product like this. I would suggest you start by figuring out why you overheated and determining what damage you might have caused when you did overheat. Any and all details you can provide here will help us help you. You obviously are leaning towards blown head gasket and I'm curious if you see that as a result of the overheat event.....or as what caused it to begin with. What signs do you see that make you think blown head gasket? White smoke? Coolant in oil?

This isn't anything to chance because this can get expensive quickly. If it were me, I would certainly have to approach this from the standpoint of why it overheated....solve that....as well as determine what damage may have resulted....and fix that. Let us know some more info when you get a chance.....and for goodness sake....leave the steelseal out of the truck for now.

I wouldn't even consider using Dexcool , If you have it, drain and flush very well and put in anything other than Dexcool . It is way to finicky, even air in the system causes it to plug up heater cores and radiators.
    I would be checking all the freeze plugs while your under the truck, if one is bad others may be close.