Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 97 GMC 1500...checking trans fluid

97 GMC 1500...checking trans fluid

Got a 97 GMC last week, runs good, everything works, really like it...... thought I would check it over today, Went to check the trans fluid, idling in park as the dipstick says......fluid is all over the dipstick when I pull it out.....cant get a reading. Its not foaming or anything, just looks like its splashing up there. Trans works fine, shifts as it should etc......I have never had an overdrive transmission before....Is this common on these?

Blog Entries
    Take it for a ride ..get warm then check..will take a few swipes..to clean off dipstick...to get right reading ..

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

Get it warm, shift to reverse, drive back to park, remove dipstick wipe fluid off dipstick install dipstick, then remove dipstick again and check fluid level, one thing to member when you look at the dipstick hold it level to get a good reading if hold it up and down fluid will run off the dipstick making you think its low or too high.
    1994 white ext cab chevy silverado 5.7 rolling 230k miles
    stock with air filter lid flipped,
    open flowing exhaust to a 40 series flowmaster dumped.
    God Bless America, Support our Troops!

Thanks guys, but I do know how to check the fluid....just that this time its very hard to get a reading...tried a bunch of times. I had it warm, just came back from a drive, so it was well circulated. The fluid just seems to be flying around in there. Will try again today.

try turning the stick 180 and see if you can get a clean read on the hash marks
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Quote Originally Posted by leolkfrm View Post
    try turning the stick 180 and see if you can get a clean read on the hash marks
    YUP, and, let it sit there idling for a minute or so, the fluid splashed into the dip stick tube will flow down, makes it easier to read.
    The fluid level can be seen, like elkfarm says, turn it over, it still might take a couple of pokes at it but, eventually You will see where the fluid is on the stick.
    Also, as subscribed earlier, hold the dipstick horizontal, as quickly as possible after getting it cleared from the tube.

Well, the engine light came on yesterday....Code reader says the trans is slipping. Checked fluid again when hot and its high on the stick...and a little foamy. Hopefully a fluid and filter change will recify this....Any suggestions on a better grade Dexron fluid?.....Synthetic maybe?

Operating a Chevy, with the transmixer over full, will cause foaming, foam does`nt make good pressure to hold the clutches in.
    When You change fluid/filter, leave it about a quart and a half low. Take the vehicle out for a drive, bringing it up to operating temps, then recheck the fluid.
    I always figure if the level of the fluid is half way between the add and the full marks, that is close enough.
    If the clutches still slip after changing fluid and filter, try some of that seal swell. I never have, in a transmission but, I know it stops the leaks on the front forks of My Harley, only had to give it one application, and not very much either, used maybe a 1/4th of what was called for in the capacities of the fork tubes, used fork oil to top it up the other 3/4ths. I have since then, on the regularly schedules service, changed the fork oil twice, without adding any more seal swell and still no more leaking from there.

Just changing the filter and fluid it should hold 5 quarts.
    1994 white ext cab chevy silverado 5.7 rolling 230k miles
    stock with air filter lid flipped,
    open flowing exhaust to a 40 series flowmaster dumped.
    God Bless America, Support our Troops!

Took it to my mechanic friend today......He undid the tranny line at the rad and took out about a gallon of fluid. We then checked it and put in about 1 1/2 quarts....It was 2 1/2 quarts over full...no wonder it was foaming. Drove it down the road a bit and the engine light went out. I am going to drive it for a few days and see how it is and then we will do a tranny filter and fluid change
    Thanks for the advice guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast