Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service Engine Soon light

Service Engine Soon light

My service engine soon light came on on my 2002 GMC 292 engine. The light stayed constant under 30 MPH and blinked above 30 MPH. I could feel a miss. I found that while deer hunting a rat had made himself at home on the engine (probably because it was warm) and had chewed two wires that go to a sensor(I think) on the block just above the coil. I spliced the wires and now the miss is gone but the light stays on. How can I get the light to go off? Is there a trick to it or do I have to take it to the dealer? Thanks

Here in Texas where I live you could take it to some auto parts stores and have them shoot the codes (make sure you have solved all your problems). When they do that they can shut the light off (temporarily - if you still have a problem it will come back on) and it won't cost you anything. I would think though that the light should correct itself - maybe depending on the code though.

Good luck.

Thanks Shopratles. I live in Texas (Rockport) and have heard that AutoZone among others can help. I just had the problem Friday and spliced the wires today and haven't driven the truck, just started it and saw that the light stayed on. I was wondering if a do-it-yourself trick might turn the light off.

That was the store I was thinking of. I don't know of a do-it-yourself trick but will keep my eyes open. Oh and I live in Mansfield (SE of Ft. Worth).

there is a way to clear all the codes urself..... turn key on, but dont crank it, then disconnect battery for about 3-5 minutes, turn key off, re-connect battery
    99 suburban xlt
    96 silverado
    91 wrangler (my baby )
    08 Honday shadow 750 (my mistress)

i believe this is how you do it, we did this on my dad's, and it cleared the codes. he has a 96' silverado. u may want to wait for gmtech to let verify this method. i'd hate for it to mess up ur comp. if this aint the right way
    99 suburban xlt
    96 silverado
    91 wrangler (my baby )
    08 Honday shadow 750 (my mistress)

96 and 2000 have different electronics, Drop by an auto zone and have then read and clear the code. If it comes back you will now where to start looking
    The only good thing that came from cash for clunkers is that it got most of the OBAMA bumper stickers off the streets.

Well thanks guys for all the input. But it is a moot point now. The light went off. I drove about 40 miles, went in Academy, came out and cranked the truck. No light!!!!!!! I guess when I fixed the problem, the computer took a while to recognize the fix and then turned the light off. shopratles you were right, it fixed itself.

My '96 Z28 used to do that. Light would come on last 2-3 days, then shut itself off. Crazy car. Glad I could help.

Thats the way the computor does it. It needs 2 and sometimes 3 consecutive drive cycles where it tests and passes for whatever code there is then it can turn off the light but the data and code still stays in history in the computor for 100 drive cycles for most codes. And a drive cycle does not mean just starting and driving it 2 - 3 times it has to cool below a certain point be driven and warm beyond a certain point and then be turned off to be considered a drive cycle. As far a clearing a code without a scan tool the capacitors of the computor need to be completely
    powered down in order for it to loose its information and touching the 2 cables together has been a common way of accomplishing this task. It has even been recomended by our tech assistance for some certain codes that don't seem to want to be cleared by the use of a scan tool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast