1.6 Roller Rockers good for any power?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by 94Z71350, Feb 16, 2010.

1. 94Z71350

94Z71350 Senior Member

Over the stock non-roller 1.5 ratio ones? Looking for a couple more ponies, truck is a 94 Z71 TBI 350 with a CAI & True dual flowmaster exhaust, also plan on adding a chip from TBIChips.com soon too. :confused:
    I was looking at these https://shop.enginekits.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3087 and was wondering if they would work or not.

2. hotrodpc

hotrodpc Senior Member

I am thinking these may be more inteded for the Vortec 350 SFI motor with an aftermarket cam 94Z. And probably a pretty big cam too being they are long slot, or possibly just to get the 1.6 ratio too. Of course its just going to give the valve a hair more lift is all its going to do. Maybe one our fearless leaders, Mudseeker, who is more fluent in SBC SFI will have more accurate info to add.

3. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I know one just can't put them on without doing other head work.

4. davbell22602

davbell22602 Senior Member

welcome to the forum

5. bubbatrucklover

bubbatrucklover Senior Member

Such as? Just askin' not being a Smart A$$.:D

6. 94Z71350

94Z71350 Senior Member

What about 1.5 roller rockers, self-adjusting. I would think they would be a direct bolt on, no?

7. mudseeker

mudseeker Senior Member

roller rockers on a flat tappet cam? you'll be lucky to see 1 hp gain. rockers would be the last thing on the list for upgrades. there are other items that will give you a better hp to $ ratio, such as a cam.

as hotrod said, you'll get a hair more lift with the 1.6, but you can get more lift for just a little more $ with a cam. i bet i could find you a good cam for another $75, but that would require an almost complete engine tear down.

8. hotrodpc

hotrodpc Senior Member

Exactly what I was thinkin, but figured Mud would be the more experienced in this area.

9. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I have heard that one has to do work on the heads or the holes where the push rods go. Like I said I have heard that on another forum. I'm going to see if I can find the post.

10. gpmorgan

gpmorgan Auto Banned

when changing rockers to larger size you need to be wary of valve geometry.especially with roller rockers. as far as making pushrod holes bigger, you would then have to install guide plates. unless you are running a lot of rpms you really dont need larger pushrod holes. larger holes let your oil return faster to oil pan so you dont pump it dry at higher rpms.:eek: