1963 International pick up

Discussion in 'Other Trucks' started by bodean, Mar 6, 2010.

1. bodean

bodean Senior Member

Chemical Lab Tech
    I have a 1963 International pick up I plan to sell for my mother-in-law. It has been sitting for several years in a garage. I know the tank will need to be cleaned and flushed, and maybe the carb rebuilt, or at least cleaned. Got any tricks, ideas or suggestions of what's best to use for this task?

Stan

2. 1978

1978 Full Member

Truck Driver
    First off I would get yourself a gas can and some rubber hose and run it right to the fuel pump and see if it will start w/o rebuilding the carb, it might fire up. Maybe put some of that LUCAS fuel injector cleaner in the gas and let it run ( if it will w/ a little coaxing by trickling some gas in the carb w/ a jar). It might just run fine. Now the tank, thats a whole nother can of worms.

3. semocoachworks

semocoachworks Senior Member

Maintenance Manager for a 60 truck fleet and 4 loc
    I've taken the tank off and put a few handfulls of nuts and bolts with some solvent in it and just shake it around a lot. It will knock alot of the rust loose and the solvent cleans off the varnish. They do sell kits at napa etc to recondition a tank and I used a couple of these on a couple atv tanks and was not impressed.

4. bodean

bodean Senior Member

Chemical Lab Tech
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think the tank is all that rusty inside, but it does have a varnish smell to it. It was stored inside a garage since last ran so the temp swings were kept to a minimum. I was told by a local gas station friend that the new ethanol gas will dissolve and clean out the varnish, but make sure you have a filter ahead of the pump. Lets just say that the carb. will need rebuilt..............where do I go for a carb. kit?

This is not the only vehicle that I'll need to do this to. I have approximately 42 more to deal with........about half supposedly were running when parked. I've got my work cut out for me to say the least.

Stan

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

how about some prices and pics....maybe there is something someone would like and will take it as is!
    Besides I'm overdue for a trip to Red Bay!

6. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

What engine does it have? Maybe this will help you below.

[​IMG] Penetrating oil test.
    Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results!

*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.*

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ..................... 516 pounds
    WD-40 ............. 238 pounds
    PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
    Liquid Wrench .. 127 pounds
    Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
    ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone*
    *Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.*

7. gpmorgan

gpmorgan Auto Banned

forklifts and equip tech
    like to have that IHC to go with the one i already have but i really dont have room for the one ive got. like to see some pics though. hey your right next door to me over here in tupelo ms.

8. bodean

bodean Senior Member

Chemical Lab Tech
    To gmctrucks........the engine is a straight six but I don't know the size. Also thanks for the rusted bolt info.

Stan

9. bodean

bodean Senior Member

Chemical Lab Tech
    leolkfrm.......my mother -in-law is a very private person and doesn't want just anybody snooping around on her secluded property. She's afraid that someone might try and break in on her, or try and steal from her. She asked that I remove each vehicle 1 or 2 at a time to my place on the hwy to sell them. Vehicles are mostly Ford, GM, and Dodge. The years range from a 1931 Model A coupe to a 1975 Grand Prix LJ. If anyone is looking for any particular vehicle (parts or whole), then let me know and I'll attempt to get pictures to you if we have them. The most unusual of them all is the 1958 Chevy Wrecker. It likely will be the next one that I moved to my place and will sell it as is.

Stan

10. bodean

bodean Senior Member

Chemical Lab Tech
    #10 bodean, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    Here are pictures of the truck as I pulled it from the garage.

Finally got them to show up as thumbnails. Click on the pictures to view larger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]