1980 block and 700r4 tranny?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Ihatemyford, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Ihatemyford

Ihatemyford Senior Member

the guy that i was talking to about doing machine work for me and everything was asking me what year the engine was, and i told him that and asked if it would work with the 700r4. he said that there is the possibility that it will, but there is also the possibility that it will just lock up and not work due to something with the electric connections or something.. what do you guys think about this? has anyone ever tried/done this and had it work or screw up?

2. Oldmech

Oldmech Full Member

hehe, it doesnt matter what year the block is, old style two piece ream main or one piece rear main, the bolt pattern on the bell housing is the same, and so is the flysheel/torque converter bolt pattern... I have swapped engines both directions many times... a lot of older blocks with new style heads on em to run the TBI's and newere style blocks with old style heads to run with carbs.. you wont have any problems...

3. Ihatemyford

Ihatemyford Senior Member

thats good to hear... i cant afford to do what im doing right now, i wouldnt be able to afford a different tranny

4. 3500chevy

3500chevy Member

Ya I have done this a few times also, should be no problem he might have been talking about the 4l60e thats te electric shift version of the 700r4 only thing i can think of what hes talking about, would still bolt up to any block just would have to figure out how to make it shift.