1980 Chevy C10 Repair Questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Lennie Friedman, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Lennie Friedman

General Manager for a High Tech Manufacturing Firm
    I recently purchased a Chevy C10 to work on with my kids. Was looking for a multi-year family project. I have little experience working on cars or trucks.

Question:
    I replaced the mechanical fuel pump. How can I tell if I installed the pump arm under the push rod as intended? What signs would I look for it it was done properly or not? I was able to get the truck started after pumping the gas pedal for a few rounds to get fuel back into the carburetor. What is the risk if i didn't install it properly?

Thanks for the help!​

2. Kennyray

Kennyray Moderator
    Staff Member

Maintenance
    If it started you should ok. I don't think the pump would seat against the block if it wasn't right.

gmctrucks and Lennie Friedman like this.
  3. Lennie Friedman

Terrific. Thank you for the quick response.

4. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Don't think it will bolt in right if the rod is not seating right, I had to replace one on my old 82 chevy was a big PIA to fight that rod, a trick was to put thick grease on teh end of the rod lift it up the greas would hold it in place, I tried that with no luck think I used a tiny flat head screwdriver and after a hour of fighting it got it to work.

gmctrucks likes this.
  5. Lennie Friedman

Thanks for the info. That is what surprised me a bit. The push rod did not come out very far. I did not have to fight it to replace the fuel pump. That said, I hear you on the PIA. YouTube videos said it was a 30 min repair. Took me at least 3x. Appreciate your thoughts.

6. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    most engines with mechanical fuel pump have the old front motor mount holes , one is just above the fuel pump on the front of the block and has a 3/8 bolt in it to plug it. Remove that bolt and with your fingers turn in a long bolt with about 2 in of thread till it bottoms out, it will be against the fuel pump rod. don't over tighten just snug. remover fuel pump and replace then remove bolt a replace the original. You can get a fuel pump bolted on if not lined up but will bend the arm and there will be no fuel. if it ran for more than a min. you should be ok.

gmctrucks likes this.
  7. Lennie Friedman

Great. Thanks for the reply. I was able to run it for over 6 minutes before shutting it down.. So I feel better after the posts.

8. Lennie Friedman

Great. Thanks for the reply. I was able to run it for over 6 minutes before shutting it down.. So I feel better after the posts.

9. Lennie Friedman

New Question: Emissions Controls See Pictures

Thank you all for your help on my first question. Very much appreciated.

Question 2: I have attached two pictures. Towards the back of the picture (rear part of engine) is the Carburator with the Air Cleaner removed.

1. Picture IMG_4422:
      • At the bottom left (Southwest (SW)) of the picture is the EGR-TVS (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Thermal Vacuum Switch in Dark Red with vacuum hoses coming off of it.
      • Just to the Northeast (NE) of that is the EFE-TVS (Early Fuel Evaporation System - Thermal Vacuum Switch) in white with vacuum hoses coming off of it.
      • But to the NE of that is a hole where it looks like another vacuum switch of some sort was supposed to be. . I have no idea what that is for or if it is needed. Do I need to do anything with it?
    2. Additional pictures for reference of the Engine; a 5.0L 305 V8

Thanks again for everyone's insights.

Attached Files:

10. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I suggest buy a Chiltons repair book at your auto supply store first check if it has the picture of where all the vacuum hoses go or connect another thing where your wiper blades are remove all the leafs that are there or your air conditioner blower will start making noise because they will fall in where the fan is.

One last thing maybe buy a can of foam engine cleaner so you can remove all the grease on the engine once you get it on the road it might smell of oil burning off the engine which isn't good for the kids and being clean will help you find leaks.
    Good luck! GMC

JTWard likes this.