1984 Ford

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Forum' started by Nick_F150, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Nick_F150

Nick_F150 Full Member

I Have a 1984 Ford F-150 with a 4.9L 300 straight 6. I was wondering how hard would it be to remove all the emissions **** and electronics and switch to just a straight distributer with no computer or anything? Also do they make a kit for this kind of project? Thanx in advance.

2. chevyguy

chevyguy Senior Member

You are gonna need a different distribuitor and cab to do that.

3. Nick_F150

Nick_F150 Full Member

I notice your in Oregon, me too.

4. Moostang

Moostang Senior Member

I am not familar with the ford straight 6. What type of emissions stuff is on there?

5. 390FE

390FE Senior Member

I wouldn't do it.

Take all the emmisions stuff off and block all the emmision tubes but don't go backwards in ignition technology.

To do what you want you would have to get a mid 70's I6 points distributor and you would loose power when going to a points system. People with points usually leave it how it is untill they can afford an electroic upgrade and do so as soon as possible.

I beleve you only have an ignition computer and they are like $20 when they go bad.

On an 84 I think the only emmision stuff you have is an air pump and tubing to the exhaust manifold. Take the pump off the tubing out and plug/cover the hole left on the exhaust manifold. Thats all my 83 351ci V8 had on it for emissions. You might needa new belt when you take off the pump if the belt is running another component also.

6. chevyguy

chevyguy Senior Member

No you dont have to go backwards as per say. Use a hei distribuitor with a vacuum advance and bypass all the computer garb. What part of Oregon are you in? Coos Bay here.

7. Nick_F150

Nick_F150 Full Member

Thanks for the input. I live in Lebanon.

8. Nick_F150

Nick_F150 Full Member

But the thing is if you take the emissions stuff off with the stock computer the truck runs like ****. so thats why we wanted to get rid of the computer cause we were also going to put a 4 barrel carb on. I have no idea how it would run with the 4 barrel with the stock computer.

9. Nick_F150

Nick_F150 Full Member

I'm pretty sure there is more emissions stuff then what you had on your truck 390FE

10. jimmieg2

jimmieg2 Full Member

PLEASE don`t try putting a 4 barrel on a inline6 you`ll flood it everytime you try to crank it, that would be way to much carb for it to run right and as far as the emission****, take it off and look into an MSD setup that will do away with the module like you wantyou will want to look for a point conversion kit to do this change over.
    Let me know how your doing with it.