1989 f250 need new transfer case

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Forum' started by MattCal, Oct 18, 2016.

1. MattCal

MattCal Member

I have a 1989 f250 with the 4.9 I6 4x4. But I went to put it in 4x4 and it wouldn't spin the front tires with the hubs locked but the low range still works. I have a ford 29 aka 3.55 ratio in the rear dif. (not sure about the split axle in the front) I'm looking to find a used transfer case and I'm not sure if one off another truck that has different motor and/or gearing will work. Please help

MrMarty51 likes this.
  2. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Hello Matt. Welcome to the forum. Jump on in and feel right at home.
    I`m not really up to speed on the Fords, but if they are like the GM units, I would look for a T~Case that came from behind the same transmission.
    The shafts between the two should then be the same. I do not know if Fords used different input shafts and couplers between the automatic and the manual transmissions but getting a case that was from behind the same transmission will solve that problem.
    It could also be possible that the linkage may just need adjusting. There is usually a hole in the T~Cases shift levers, if there are two levers and with the case in a certain position the holes should line up and a drill bit or a pin of that particular size should slide through the holes without binding.
    Just a minit, I will see if I have a book to cover Your case..
    The differentials gear ratios will not make any difference unless You are changing the rear, or front differential assemblies.
    I hope that this helps.

3. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Nope, My Motors manuals does not give any procedures for adjusting the shifting levers for the T~Cases.
    If You have a repair manual, Haines or Chiltons it will give the procedure for the adjustments in the book.
    If You do not have a book it would be a good excuse to spend the money and get one. It will be invaluable for future references.
    Before condemning the case as being bad I would sure check the adjustments and also the bushings in the shifter levers too. Most times it can be just a simple adjustment or replacing worn bushings instead of a bad T~Case, especially of the case had been operating just fine and then all of a sudden seemed to quit.

4. MattCal

MattCal Member

I just bought the truck about 2 months ago and it's in great shape other that the T case. I have no idea how long the t case has been bad, when I bought it I locked the hubs and put in 4 low and the low range worked so I didn't even think to check any farther. On ebay there are tons of transfer cases for cheap with warranties. They are all off of 1989 f250s with the same trans
    , but most have different motors and/or gearing in the diffs. Do you know if that will affect anything? Ps, I did check the linkage and it moves the lever on the T case and makes a click, but no power is getting to the front.

5. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

One way to check to be sure that it is digging in in 4 low is to put it in 4 low then, put the transmission into reverse. Let out the clutch normally then start mashing on the throttle. If it acts like it wants to do a wheelie with the rear tires then the 4 low is fully functional. Just be careful to not knock out the gears in the front differential.

The T~Case doesn't care what gears the differentials are. It will work for any gear ratio.
    the output of the T~Case in 4 hi is one to one ratio, to both the front and the back output shafts. Whatever ratios the differentials are will not matter.
    Just never try to put a different gear ratio rear end or front end under it. Meaning, two differently geared differentials. It will bind the drive train within a few feet. Might even break some stuff.

6. MattCal

MattCal Member

Ok, I think I found one! Thanks for the help

MrMarty51 likes this.
  7. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Hey Matt, Keep us posted on how it goes.:mtruck::crush: