2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4, center hub cover for the wheels, plastic nuts stripped/cracked..

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by awbooth, Jan 1, 2018.

1. awbooth

awbooth Full Member

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 4X4, had tires replaced today. The technicians cracked the black plastic nuts that thread onto the lugs on the truck. It's a center cap decorative piece with a chevy symbol on it. I'm hoping i can pop out the cracked black plastic nuts and pop in new ones. Anyone out there deal with the same problem? Thx!
    anthony

Attached Files:

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

yup, dealer has them by the dozen

3. awbooth

awbooth Full Member

awesome! thx!

4. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    maybe the tech should replace them.???

MikeG likes this.
  5. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    I worked at a firestone and to get out of replacing things like that like stripped lug nuts we were told to say it did that coming off then they did not have to replace it. But yes if they broke it they should replace it but don't mean they will. Unless you ask first nicely if they refuse or give you fits go find them on google reveiws or on facebook and leave a bad taste in their mouth makes most jump and fix it to get the bad taste out of there mouth, if you know what I mean.

MikeG likes this.
  6. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Oh and a tire shop should know by just looking at them and the year of vehicles to know you take those off and on by hand not a impact. I had front tires put on at walllyworld I have those plastic spin lug nut covers and they cracked everyone of them using a dam impact. I already have some lost ones so I may just leave mine off till I find some really cheap.

7. awbooth

awbooth Full Member

I should have removed all 4 hub covers prior to service and just put them back on myself after... kids these days don't understand attention to detail

MikeG likes this.
  8. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    That's what I do! :hah:Must be new technology.........? OH WAIT, not like Chevy hasn't been using these center caps since the early 90's (or older), so in my eyes ANY shop or Tech should know better.:no:

9. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    I have gotten to the point of taking my wheels off myself and bringing them in to have tires installed or repaired. I have had to many bad experiences with shops using the torque sticks.The are very dependent on the user and one of the worst ideas anyone has ever had.I have watched, techs use the stick then check to see if the lugs are tight with a torque wrench, this doesn't tell them that they have them way over tight. I have had to drill into pickup lug nuts to be able to split them to get them off. I really don't trust many techs at all anymore.You can get the lug nut covers at a salvage yard for cheap if you go out and get them yourself.Often they are laying around where wheels have been pulled. Seems people don't save them.

MikeG likes this.