2002 F-150 4.2L EGR valve

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Forum' started by Thirdeye, May 28, 2012.

1. Thirdeye

Thirdeye Senior Member

Hi everyone,

I finally tracked down my buddy tonight and got him to use his code reader to see what is causing my SES light to come on. I got a P0401 (insufficient EGR flow) code. I had this code a few months ago and took my truck to the shop. They cleaned and re-used my EGR valve, and not even a week later, the SES light came on and has been on since. I'm assuming then, that my valve is no good and it needs replaced. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts might be on this.

2. chevychase

chevychase Senior Moderator Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
  3. Thirdeye

Thirdeye Senior Member

okay, I will check that out. I'm gonna have another look to see how good of a job the garage did cleaning out the carbon. I have a feeling they might have only cleaned the valve itself and not the ports on the intake.

4. bigbluenatedogg

bigbluenatedogg Full Member

most of the garages just use an aerosol to clean of valves and usually nothing else if theres still a little carbon of something with a little roughness but nothing to aggressive that'll alter the texture most commonly used by body shops is a red brillo pad

5. tjzz4

tjzz4 Senior Member

DPFE is the most common failure for a P0401.

6. Thirdeye

Thirdeye Senior Member

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my progress. I took the EGR valve off today and the valve was clean. However, the part on the intake that the EGR bolts too was plugged solid!! And I mean solid, there is no way any exhaust is moving through it. I'm in the process of removing the intake part (I'm not sure what it's called, but it's what the EGR bolts to, and it it bolted into the intake. I'm having a hard time removing the left side bolt (it's the bolt closest to passenger side of the engine compartment). I can't get a ratchet on it, but I can get my wrench on it a little. I'm scared that I might strip the bolt so I'm waiting to get some sort of ratcheting wrench at the parts store tomorrow before I go any further. There isn't a whole lot of clearance to work with on these engines. Anyone else have difficulty removing this bolt?
    I'm relieved that I found the problem, but it pisses me off that when I took this to a garage to get them to fix this EGR problem months ago, they only cleaned my valve. How could they not notice the extreme amount of carbon build up on the port??

7. chevychase

Glad to hear it is going your way Thirdeye. Reason i join these forums ..garage ripoffs/tearoff s**ts. I,am just trying to help others.

8. Thirdeye

Thirdeye Senior Member

Okay, I have a major problem. I still cannot get this last bolt removed. I bought a gearwrench (a wrench with a ratcheting end) but the head of the bolt is stripped and I can't get it out!! I might be able to get a small pair of vice grips on it, but I don't want to make things any worse than they already are. Is there anyway I can clean this carbon out without removing this part?? I'm scared of it being sucked into the engine though.

9. Thirdeye

Thirdeye Senior Member

here are a few pics showing what I'm dealing with. IMG_2558.jpg IMG_2559.jpg IMG_2560.jpg

10. chevychase

Seems it maybe stopped off a little .....get that carbon out enough to have a barbeque lol
    might have to drill and shoot that passage out.