2003 Toyota Tacoma price?

Discussion in 'Toyota Truck Forum' started by wilhed, Dec 30, 2016.

1. wilhed

wilhed Member

machinist
    #1 wilhed, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    I'm no truck expert but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts about what a 2003 Toyota Tacoma 4wd V6 SR5 with 99,000 miles on it might be worth. I paid a goodly sum for it but it gets such poor mileage - it's a manual as well - that I might be forced to sell. It's got a nearly perfect exterior and nice black color. Looks brand new. Supposedly an old guy drove it and mostly on the freeway but I have no way of verifying this. Carfax gave it a great report and a mechanic shop I took it to said the only thing they could see wrong is that the timing belt was a bit worn and could use replacing.

The seller had a "Gold" Toyota Extra Care Service Agreement lasting until 100K miles, which is why in part he decided to sell, I suspect. He paid 25K for it. New.

I'd heard Toyota trucks are extremely dependable - that's the main reason I went with Toyota. I looked at a couple Fords and one Chevy that a dealership was selling for 11K.

Now I'm feeling the pain of the poor mileage...I assumed a mid-size truck, a Toyota - and a manual at that - would get better mileage.

2. Kennyray

Kennyray Moderator
    Staff Member

Maintenance
    I'm not sure what it's worth. But if you want gas milage don't buy a truck.

gmctrucks and leolkfrm like this.
  3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

kelly blue book, or nada, both online

gmctrucks likes this.
  4. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Maybe all it needs us a tune up or your driving habits need to change don't take off so fast from a dead stop check air pressure of the tires read what type of gas you should use consider having the injectors cleaned or use a fuel additive and on the price google it and remember it's a truck not a small car.

5. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    Check online for value estimates as mentioned above. What defines poor mileage for you might be perfectly fine for someone else. For example, I can get 15 mpg on a trip with mine. I'm perfectly happy with that. If gas mileage is your top concern, start looking for a small, single cab, 2wd, 4 cylinder truck. Be that a Toyota, Chevy, Nissan, etc. No air conditioning, manual transmission, skinny tires.

6. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    You need to take into consideration its 4wd, there is alot more rotating mass for the engine to trun, ie transfer case another drive shaft, another rear end, also the tires and rims if they are bigger they are heavier, that could be where the mileage is. Also as stated a tune up would help, driving habits how heavy of foot you have.

wilhed likes this.
  7. wilhed

wilhed Member

machinist
    I've not compared how other manual transmission pickups drive, but it seems to me that, esp. in 1st gear, the RPM revs higher than the axle rotation I'm getting on the other end. so to speak...what could be causing this and is this plausible for why the mileage seems so poor? According to FuelEconomy.gov Trip Calculator it gets 16 mpg. This seems to fit, but still...

8. wilhed

wilhed Member

machinist
    Is there a way to measure the output (in wattage or kilowatts?) at a certain rpm, say 4,800? And compare this to the norm for that type of engine?

9. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    1st gear is just about any manual is a low gear its made to get you rolling, some maybe shorter than others and rev higher.

Measure output( in wattage) not sure what your aiming for here, are you wanting to know like power output in 1st? or total overall for the engine? Maybe some dyno data could result what your needing but not sure, might look up specs on google for the engine for power results at what rpm.

10. wilhed

wilhed Member

machinist
    Supposedly the '94 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera had the best "fuel economy". But highway vs. "city" driving is hugely consequential for trucks - manuals i particular: Fuel economy in automobiles - Wikipedia