4 wheel drive not working on 89 Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by jrwhite, Nov 19, 2010.

1. jrwhite

jrwhite New Member

I recently had my nephew put a engine in my 89 Chevy 2500 pickup and the 4 wheel drive does not work anymore the light on the floor will not come on and it does not work in 4 low ether any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need that truck for my snow removal business ASAP. Thanks

2. Oldmech

Oldmech Full Member

you need to check to see if you have power going to the actuator on the front axle. The connector could easily have been hit when the motor was put in it

3. jrwhite

jrwhite New Member

4 Wheel drive

Thanks for the idea. I checked and there is power to the actuator. Any other ideas on what I can check?

4. Oldmech

Oldmech Full Member

If you have power and ground to that connector then get a new actuator and screw it into your axle. The old one up and died on you. They are easy to take out and replace. You can in fact plug the new one in before taking the old one out to make sure it is going to work. As it is warmed inside it expands and engages the axle. it can also be replaced by a cable kit if you want to do away with the electronics.

5. jrwhite

jrwhite New Member

I got a new one and put it in and the problem is fixed. Thank you for your help:)

6. Oldmech

Oldmech Full Member

Very cool :)