6.2 liter chevy diesel

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by chevyguy, May 22, 2006.

1. chevyguy

chevyguy Senior Member

Anyone have any experience with one of these engines? Let me know good and bad, Thanks

2. mudseeker

mudseeker Senior Member

my uncle has one in his truck. he usually trades his trucks in every year or two, but he says this one is forever. he's retirered from gm, so he pulls a 5th wheel every summer. i think he said he gets between 20-30 mpg., can't remember the exact number, but it's better than my gas hog. his son pulls the trailor also but his is gas, so he had to order different gears when he bought his truck. you can never go wrong with a diesel

3. mslwpk

mslwpk Full Member

We had one but we sold it. We didnt have any motor problems but we did have problems with the tranny.Can I ask why? Are you looking at a truck with it in it?

4. chevyguy

chevyguy Senior Member

I want to start my next build. I want to build a 73-87 chevy crew cab 4x4 with a 6.2 liter diesel motor. I dont want the 6.5 for personal reasons. Just love the reliability of the older non turbo motors. Exclu**** the little dog 5.7 liter motor, They were junk from the factory. Why do you ask?

5. mslwpk

mslwpk Full Member

That would be a good project. The 6.2 we had a 6.2 and it was a good motor but ours had the turbo.with a 4L80 tranny and that tranny drove us nuts.I wish you luck with the project.

6. chevyguy

chevyguy Senior Member

I will be going with either a 700r4 or a 5 speed manual.

7. lithopro

lithopro Full Member

My brother has one

in his 83 Blazer. It has over 200,000 miles on it. Actually ran in to the original owner a couple months back. The only thing that's ever been replaced was the injection pump and a glow plug relay. It still gets 17mpg around town and 25 mpg on the highway with a new 700r4 behind it. It sucks when pulling any weight though. My K2500 with a 1800lb camper will still out run him up a hill and I've got a TBI 350 with a TH400.

8. mrjohnwayne

mrjohnwayne Full Member

One of my old high school buddies had one in an 83 3/4 chevy. Ran forever. think the truck had 350,000 miles on it when we were in high school. his got decent mileage. probably still be running if he hadnt wrecked it.

9. chevyguy

chevyguy Senior Member

I got a cuming turbo diesel instead . i drove a 6.2 and realized the lack of power was unacceptable.

10. mrjohnwayne

mrjohnwayne Full Member

way to just turn your back on GM!!! :D Cummins is a nice motor just don't like the trucks they put em in :)