86 5 speed stuck in 1st gear

Discussion in 'Nissan Truck Forum' started by Fedu86, May 3, 2015.

1. Fedu86

Fedu86 New Member

I have a 2WD 5 speed. Not sure yet how this happened, but long story short -- The trans is in first gear and the shift lever is not. I can shift in and out of the other speeds, but of course that's no help. I though I could just pull the stick out, line things up and insert the stick - problem solved. It obviously doesn't work that way. I then took off the cover that holds the stick, but again, that's no help.
    Looks like all shifting mechanism is well hidden within the case, and it may well require a major ordeal just to get it back in neutral? My only real hope at this point is that it might be possible to gain access through the level plug, drain plug, some switch port or ?? It shouldn't take much effort to shift the fork, just how to reach it?
    Hoping someone out there with a working knowledge of these transmissions may have some ideas. I see very little at this point that offers much hope.

2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    What trans. do you have? Maybe can find diagram..or how to.

1 person likes this.
  3. Fedu86

Fedu86 New Member

I have no clue what trans this is or how many possibles there are. I managed to "git'er done" yesterday after all. With the help of some parts diagrams I found in Alldata, and the use of a handy dandy remote camera gadget, I was able to locate and identify the shift fork for 1st and 2nd gears, which happens to be directly above the drain plug, by the way. Tried the level plug first, but that got me to the 3rd 4th shift fork. By going through the drain plug hole with a long screwdriver, I was able to pop it back into neutral. It was all downhill from there. Fluid needed changing anyway.
    Thanks for the response.

2 people like this.
  4. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Good going 86, welcome to the forum.
    Some of these newer types of transmixers has some plastic pieces in them. If one of the plastic pieces breaks, it can cause shifting problems. Now, I do`nt know if this trans has such pieces of plastic in it, might be worthwhile to check that out.
    Apparently, there is something that is worn, usually, if a transmission is in one gear, there are mechanisms that will prevent them from shifting into another gear, until the fork that is engaged, is shifted to the neutral position.
    Now, all of this is from My knowledge of the older transmissions, so, this information may be null and void. :help: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 person likes this.