'94 Mazda B2300 heater blend door access question

Discussion in 'Mazda Truck Forum' started by trolleytrooper, Feb 14, 2015.

1. trolleytrooper

trolleytrooper Full Member

Semi-retired housing industry
    Attempted to change the heater blend door and actuator yesterday but am unable to figure out how to gain access to them after dropping the glove box. My Haynes manual indicates the blend door is accessible thru glove box opening but all I see is black plastic without any visible means of noninvasive removal. Some YouTube videos indicate cutting the plastic "plenum" on vehicles other than mine but am unsure that is the only method other than removing the dash which, to me, is the last resort.

2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
  3. trolleytrooper

trolleytrooper Full Member

Semi-retired housing industry
    #3 trolleytrooper, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Thanks for the info chevy. Both links illustrate things I need to be looking for when I do another inspection this afternoon and it appears finding the actuator is the first step in detecting if the blend door is the issue.

Update: Removed glove box and the cover for the heater core under the dash looking for the actuator. Found the function (controls air flow) and temp cables at the top of the plenum thru the glove box opening instead. Tried to move both of the cables but only one did. Still looking for the actuator I removed the floor vent above the floor hump and found a couple wires connected to something at the top of what I think is the plenum and impossible to get at without removing the dash.

Next I looked into the small opening to the left of the heater core and saw a couple flaps. While looking thru the small opening and pushing the loose cable one of the flaps (covering the opening to the evaporator core) opened and close quite easily. To find out which heater/ac control lever was connected to the loose cable I took hold of the function lever, moved it and could feel the resistance. Moved the temp lever next and neither of the cables on top of the plenum moved. Removed the ash tray, detached the tray track, pushed it down to see under the heater/AC controls and saw a loose cable connector. Next I moved the cable on top of the plenum and saw the loose cable end move verifying the temp lever was not connected. Now then the challenge is to get the heater/ac control assembly out of the dash and reconnect the cable or replace the assembly.

1 person likes this.