98 4.3L GMC jimmy Blazer turns over,wont start

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by Rptipton2, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Rptipton2

Rptipton2 Member

I'm new to this forum,I have a 98 gmc jimmy blazer please if anyone has had this problem help me.i parked went in store,came out truck wont start it cranks but won't start.got it home battery was low put trickle on it all nite next morning it started then died cranked until battery low again.i sprayed starter fluid still no go,checked plugs,fuses,no fuel pressure,scanned wont read,checked wires still nothing.please if anyone can help It would be welcome,thank you.

2. chevychase

chevychase Senior Moderator Staff Member

3. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a spark issue or electrical problem, need to check to see if you got fire at the plugs.

4. chevychase

On these could be many things so a electrical meter ..and fuel gauge will help a lot. Could tell you to start changing things ..waste much money ..so diagnostic be way to go..no magical fixes...welcome to the forum.

5. Rptipton2

Rptipton2 Member

I've checked fuel pressure/ none,fuel pump is not coming on.checked plugs/ no fire but new plugs.the dash lights won't come on unless I charge it all nite then it will start few sec. Then die,turns over but won't start til battery goes dead

6. Rptipton2

Rptipton2 Member

No fire,no fuel,lights on dash wont come on unless I charge it all nite with trickle charge then starts one time for a few sec.dies turns over just won't start I was wondering if it could be anti- theft system.

7. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator Staff Member

Its something electrical cutting power to everything, it could be the security, can be reset.

8. chevychase

Try the security procedure...But only thing security does cut fuel pimp off.

There is a relearn so if the computer lost the programming some how or if a component was replaced it can be reset, the process is below.

1. Perform a security system relearn. 2. Let the vehicle sit for more than 10 minutes with the key off. 3. Attempt to start the engine, leave the key in the run position monitoring the security system indicator. 4. After 10 minutes, the security indicator will change state. 5. Turn the key off and wait 10 seconds. 6. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine stalls, wait another 10 minutes with the key on. 7. After the second 10 minute timer has expired, turn the key off for 10 seconds. 8. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine stalls, wait another 10 minutes with the key on. 9. After the 3rd 10 minute timer has expired, shut the key off for 10 seconds. 10. The security system will relearn on the 4th starting attempt and the engine should start and run.

9. Rptipton2

Rptipton2 Member

I need to correct year on auto it is a 1996 gmc jimmy if that makes a difference thank you for your input.

10. Rptipton2

Rptipton2 Member

Thank you so much for info I will try this let you know to arrow if it works cross you fingers an toes