99 gmc bad starter?

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by floored, Sep 2, 2010.

1. floored

floored New Member

i have a 99 gmc sierra with the 5.3L v8 one day i turned the key forward and all the lights came on but starter wouldnt even crank. i checked the battery connections and the starter connections but nothing looked bad. so out of frustration i gave the starter a good whack with a wrench and it worked. the problem has come back after a couple months did the same thing with my wrench and it worked again. now 4 months down the road i have to do it every time i try and start the truck any ideas whats up. i dont want to spend the cash on a new starter if the problem could be something else plus i am going to be getting a new truck soon so i just need it to start up as i try and sell it.

2. jessewd10

jessewd10 Senior Member

Sounds like starters pretty much done
    U can buy rebuild kits but I'd just go get a new one there not bad on the wallet
    You might want to make sure all the electrical connections are okay on it

3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

save the agravation and change it, someone buying it will not want to se you hitting the starter to start, they will think there is a lot more wrong with it even if there isn't

4. floored

floored New Member

I figured thats what you guys were going to say just wanted to make sure though. Thanks for your input.