ABS & Brake Light Comes On Intermittently

Discussion in 'Dodge Truck Forum' started by florida9, Apr 28, 2010.

1. florida9

florida9 New Member

The ABS & Brake Light come on sometimes when i start the truck if i turn it off and back on a few times it will go away my speedometer is working but its off by 5mph i think its because my tires are a little bigger then normal (265) i replaced the rear sensor on top of the diff but the light still comes on sometimes when i start the truck i also checked the fluids & plugged a code reader in it did not find any codes. i have a 1998 Dodge RAM 1500 Pickup 5.9L V8 Magnum it has 156,294 Miles any suggestions would be great

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2010
  2. Towtruck

Towtruck Senior Member

it could be a bed sensor on the master cylinder. or a bad abs wheel sensor

3. Case 7230

Case 7230 Senior Member

Check the brake fluid level and the wiring connections at the brake master cly. as Towtruck says.
    Has your truck got full ABS or the rear wheel anti-lock?

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

plug a scanner into it and stop the guess work!

5. florida9

florida9 New Member

it has 4 wheel abs and for the scanner i plugged a normal scanner into it and it did not find any codes i tryed to find a abs code reader and no one has one i can use they sell them for 200 dollars so that's not really a option o and the brake fluid is full

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

a good scanner will give you the readings for each sensor, compare them to spec!

7. bradrhale

bradrhale Senior Member

never heard of an ABS code scanner. never heard of any scanner for that matter that costs 200 bucks. i have however seen code readers that costs 200. the scanner that leo is refering to costs alot more than that because it is capable of alot more. it reads in real time each sensor to display a numerical value that can be interpreted. with this info, you can then decide what exactly is failing.

8. Case 7230

Case 7230 Senior Member

Check that the front hub sensors are clean, check the wires to them for cracking, check any plug connectors to them for corrosion/loose and check that your front wheel bearings have no play.

9. 454 BOY

454 BOY Senior Member

Mine did that, it was because I have 285's on and they were like rubbing the sensor (wheel speed), I end up haveing to unplug the ABS until I go down to smaller tires