Am looking at a 96 Toyota Tacoma. Advice? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Toyota Truck Forum' started by frank123, Nov 13, 2014.

1. frank123

frank123 Member

I'm currently looking at used trucks, need a work truck to do lawn work and other stuff.

Anyways, amongst those I'm considering is a 96 Toyota Tacoma 4cyl with about 160,000 miles.

Has been well maintained and owner claims no rust issues (I'm aware of the fact that there was a recall/buy-back on these things).

Anyone here had any experience with these trucks? Any reliability issues or specific problems to look for? Sure, I know the mileage is high but I also know that a Toyota can be as reliable and long-lasting as a Honda (and have read of Toyotas with 300-400k on the odometers!)if well maintained.

Your thoughts?

Any advice would be appreciated.

thank you

2. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    160000 on a Toyota is nothing. If you have proof it has been maintained, it will last a long time. Those are good trucks, just look for frame rot. I've seen those trucks literally break in half.

1 person likes this.
  3. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Good trucks holds killer resale value...tacoma not much room for hauling though. Probably reason they buy back..hard to find one..around my parts/area...they re-sale for more money.
    Have a bud with a 04 240k..still books for 19k..wow.

4. frank123

frank123 Member

Yeah thanks.

The potential for frame rot was a big concern of mine, I've scheduled an appointment for in the morning at a Toyota dealership service center for a pre-purchase inspection of the vehicle. I had originally wanted something bigger but if this one checks out I'm going for it, I'm tired of looking. Every time that I find a Chevy that I like on Craigslist its always "sorry just sold it".

5. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    A 4cylinder hope your not towing a big landscapng trailer with it gonna be tough on it. Good chevy's on CL go quick, I have noticed that even here in my state, see alot of fords and dodges though for sale, not much yota's or GM truck for sale, wonder if means something good trucks to hangon to.

1 person likes this.
  6. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    We do not allow ads..rules of forum sorry Austin comstock. Deleted your post.
    Would loveto have you as member input etc.