Backup light problem?

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by sir bama, Apr 24, 2010.

1. sir bama

sir bama Member

My Right backup light wont work i have tred replaceing the bulb to no effect.All other lights work fine

2. davbell22602

davbell22602 Senior Member

Check your bulb socket and make sure you bought the right bulbs.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  3. dixie2009

dixie2009 Full Member

On my 98 GMC 1500, I have had to replace the strip that the bulb inserts into. Its got all three bulbs in that strip. You might try that. Just get a test light & check all the sockets to see if they are all hot except the back up. If its dead & the others are hot, test the wire to that socket. Hopefully that will help.
    If that wire is dead too, you might try to check the back up switch. I have never had to change that. Maybe someone else can help you locate & check it. I know its a switch possibly in the sterring colum. When you shift to reverse it activates the switch to make the light come on. It could be on the transmission???

4. Ihatemyford

Ihatemyford Senior Member

I had the same problem with my brake lights, and my brother had it with his rear lights when they were supposed to be on... turns out he had a wire that was broken, and i had a loose wire. Otherwise, i would suggest buying a new circuit board

5. kirbymurphy

kirbymurphy Senior Member

Make sure you have a good ground to the lamp base or board.

6. jeffs83chevy

jeffs83chevy New Member

thats what mine was doing...try to replace the lead wires going to the bulb housing

7. itsjared

itsjared Full Member

I replaced the circuit board three times before I though about the insert for a trailer hitch wiring. Turns out my fault was there... mostly. Now my left brake light is out but not the tail lights... I don't understand how this works after two years...