bikerboy

Discussion in 'Toyota Truck Forum' started by bikerboy, Dec 22, 2015.

1. bikerboy

bikerboy New Member

I have an 02 Tacoma quad cab 4x4, and the 4wheel drive does not engage. I'm told something about a possible relay fault? Thanks for your help.

2. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Hello BB, Welcome to the forum.
    I know nothing about the foreign brands of vehicles but, I will try to help You through this.
    Are there any banks of relays visible to the eye, possibly under the hood ? They may be incorporated with the fuses.
    If there is a large cover, remove it, look at the label, possibly one marked with the 4X4, check the fuse, a probe/test light will work for this. If the fuse is shot then replace it, try the 4X4 function, if fuse bl ows again then, begin looking for the cause.
    Please post back in with Your findings.
    Usually, the owners manual, if it is with the vehicle, will tell You where the fuses/relays are positioned.
    A vehicle specific repair manual will help a lot in diagnosis and, the identification of various components.
    Welcome to the forum and, thank You for joining in.

1 person likes this.
  3. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    Is 4x4 electric or lever operated on your truck? Perhaps a linkage has come loose. If electric or vacuum, check the connections at the transfer case. Does the 4wd indicator light up?

2 people like this.
  4. bikerboy

bikerboy New Member

Thank you, I will check the fuses. Would have thought that my service facility would have done that.

1 person likes this.
  5. bikerboy

bikerboy New Member

It is lever operated, but is not a linkage problem. Indicator does not light up. Had my local service facility look at it, and now talking to a local Toyota dealer. Sounds like it is in the actuator.

1 person likes this.
  6. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Check the fuse, check for voltage at the actuator, if voltage is present, key on and in 4 wheel drive mode, then, the actuator or its ground is at fault.
    Remove the actuator, hook back up the wire to it, key on and in 4 wheel drive mode, does the rod extend, if no then, replace the actuator, if rod does extend but, You can push it back in then, replace the actuator.
    If no voltage at the connector, check the relay, make sure that it is functioning, if in doubt, remove a relay from another position, be sure they have the same numbers on them and, try the test mode with the different actuator.

3 people like this.