blue smoke

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by steviep, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

Here is an image of it…..

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 12.52.39 PM.png

2. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Water vapor is created by the catalytic converter doing it's job, this condenses and runs out the tailpipe. No matter what the temps. Complety normal, as is a bit of "soot" in the tailpipe, especially if you have been burning oil.

3. steviep

steviep Full Member

Do you know anything about a pcv valve? I have a 95 celica that I put synthetic in that traditional had been used in with no problems along with a 97 4 runner. So I guess the third time is the charm. Would this Lucas just be a bandaid? I am skeptical of the snake oil too. When the shade tree mechanics told me to get the dura lube stuff, I was like, I don't think a magic bottle is going to fix this. lol.

4. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

I understand. I am about as skeptical as they come and am very wary of band aid type fixes. To me, this is not a "magic" fix at all. It is just something to accelerate the time it will take for the smoke to stop. You have put back in conventional….and this is just something to allow it to hopefully work better. It certainly cannot hurt….and either this or the HD oil stabilizer are the only two that I would trust pouring into the crankcase. It's up to you.

I believe that your year model has the PCV built into the valve cover and is not serviceable. They switched these in 2004 on the trucks and I can't remember if the Yukon got it the same year or it was the next year. They used to have the type that has the rubber grommet that is pressed into the valve cover. To check it, you would just take it out and shake it. If it rattled….it was still good….if not….replace. I meant to tell you to check to see if yours is the serviceable type or the non-serviceable type. Sorry I forgot to mention it.

5. steviep

steviep Full Member

Thanks Boudin. I'm going to try the Lucas for a temporary fix, then have a valve job I guess or valve stem replacement? I really love the truck and can't see myself going back to a 4 runner. I will never use synthetic oil again!!

6. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

It's perfectly ok to use synthetic. The key, IMO, is to start with low miles and stick with it. My truck has 198,000 miles and I would NEVER think about putting synthetic in it. She has been fed a steady diet of dino all her life as far as I know and made it this far. No sense changing it in her golden years......lol

7. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator Staff Member

My truck has around 245k miles but the motor has 45k, and even still I thought about changing to synthetic but after hearing if you do it causes problems and leaks I stick to dino its a little cheaper anyway.

8. Don SC

Don SC Senior Member