buying a 1989 F-150 or F-250

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Forum' started by ChrisTechMech, Aug 15, 2011.

1. ChrisTechMech

ChrisTechMech Member

I've never owned a truck but I'm trying to decide what to get. I'm strongly considering a late '80s Ford. This will be a general use truck, not a daily use vehicle (I have a company van I drive to work daily). I need something to get around in while the wife uses our only car. I frequently haul lumber, construction materials, and yard waste. I really like the look of the '80s models. Anyhow... the point of the post is, what issues should I be aware of? How concerned should I be with higher miles but a new motor? How can I verify that it truly has a newer motor? Is this generation of truck difficult to find parts for? Diesel or gas? I've heard diesel motors last longer and are better on fuel efficiency, is this true? General opinions if you've actually owned one please. F-150 or F-250? Thanks.

2. Joan D

Joan D New Member

I used the 1989 F-150 when I was working for company which organize transportation to Russia. I must say that I pretty don't like it. The motor was new, but I had to repair it every 2 months... The mazda on which i had been working earlier was much nicer and better. Maybe 1989 F-250 is better, I don't know, but I don't advice you to buy F_150 even with new motor...

3. JaneParker

JaneParker New Member

I agree F-150 is a car with problems...

4. Joan D

Joan D New Member

There's no easy way to make F150 run 1 year without serious maintenance. Working with oversized cargo transportation I doubt such cars can even drive simple common goods. I would take Ford produced after 2004 if you want to professionally work with it.

5. 96silverado

96silverado Full Member

My '86 f100 sits in the bush where it belonged since day one,i will not spent another penny on it! HAte the frikin thing!..i swear it's 'Christine's big azzed brother' having a mind of it's own,between the starting,then the next day non starting,the carb always gumming up,the new fuel pump,new starter,the new battery, i severely REGRET paying the $1 for it now & in hindsight
    "i coulda shoulda bought a powerball ticket"!!!!
    ..wanna buy a nice brownish lightly used 4x4 ChrisTech?..$400 and i''ll throw the grapefruit sized
    headache in for absolute free...:)