c10 front coil spring compatibility

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by hga, Oct 10, 2013.

1. hga

hga Full Member

i'm looking for a front coil spring for my 83 c10 pickup - talked to the guy at a local junkyard (near athens ga) and he has springs from a 92 or 93 truck, and according to his books they will fit my truck.
    the only thing is, everything i see online points to the years 73-87 as being compatible. has anybody had experience swapping a later than 87 spring into a mid-80's c10? thanks for any info.

2. chevychase

chevychase Senior Moderator Staff Member

There were frame changes in 88..think ride height also. Ask the yard to measure a older coil and 90,s coil see if the same.
    Might also go to a dealer ask them. Seems a yard would have a 73 thru 87 coil? About all i can help on this.

3. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

What exactly are you trying to do here? Are your coil springs worn and you are looking to get new ones? If it were me and I was looking to get new coil springs that were worn....I wouldn't go this route even if they were identical. Trading worn 30 year old coil springs for unknown condition 20 year old coil springs isn't something I would want to fool with given the work involved installing them and trying them out.

How much is the junkyard wanting for the springs? I just looked up some options and a new set will run you about $60.

4. Sodell

Sodell Senior Member

You can use the springs from an 88-91 suburban, but all others you will need 73-87/ I would use the springs from an 81-87 personally.

1 person likes this.
  5. chevychase

chevychase Senior Moderator Staff Member

yup sub was same body style as square till 91..good info.sodell

6. hga

hga Full Member

i'm sorry for late reply - thank you guys - i had a bad rear leaf spring on the drivers side and the truck was sagging - changed that spring (to a low miles 79 leaf spring) now the rear end is level. the front end came up some but it is still almost two inches lower on the drivers side. so i was thinking of trying another spring in there.
    boudin, the junkyard wants 30 for a spring. a guy on craigslist in atlanta has a used set for 50. in that light 60 for a new set sounds like a great deal - everything i found was 150-200 and up - where are you finding springs for 60?

7. gpmorgan

gpmorgan Auto Banned

8. hga

hga Full Member

that's really good. problem solved and many thanks

9. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

Looks like GP beat me to the punch. You can't go wrong with Moog brand suspension parts either. They are what I consider a premium brand. Glad we were able to help you.

10. hga

hga Full Member

ordered the springs and some shocks and motor mounts - very reasonable prices at summit racing i thought.
    they have a store brand set of springs and i called the georgia store and asked about them - the counterman said they are probably rebranded moogs - same part number as moog.
    thanks again for the advice.