cant get fuel filter of

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by deener99, Nov 10, 2011.

1. deener99

deener99 Senior Member

I have a 94 chevy k1500 and i wanna replace the fuel filter in it but i cant get the old one off. its an inline filter and its rusted to the line. iv sprayed penetration spray on it and hit it a few times and the thing will not move at all. not sure if there is a trick to it or im just that stupid. any advice would help. thanx

2. chevychase

chevychase Senior Moderator Staff Member

Might have to use vise grips. Has nuts on both sides... These get stuck pretty good . Lefty loosy righty tighty.
    Have to remember that when laying upside down .lol Let it soak awhile before trying.

3. deener99

deener99 Senior Member

i got this truck last thursday and started working on it saturday. put in plugs wires cap rotor and air filter. easy stuff. on tuesday i tried to get the fuel filter changed. i didnt stand a change lol. then yesterday i replaced the idle air control valve and tried to get the oil cooler lines changed which also proved to be a failure. and along with the other stuff yesterday i tried to get that fuel filter off again and not to my suprise it still didnt move. getting really frustrated with this ****. just gunna have to keep at it thankx

4. onthethreshold

onthethreshold Senior Member

Worse comes to worse buy a repair kit at oreillys or autozone and cut the thing off

5. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator Staff Member

If you are laying on your back looking up at it, you need a backup wrench on the filter another on the line, hold the back up wrench the other needs to be pushed up towards the truck, this is on the rear of the filter, on the front its reverse of the rear. In situations like this with lines, I try to keep the wrench close with out much gap and squeeze them like pliers to bust them loose, then trying with them farther apart.

6. rdlyn13000

rdlyn13000 Senior Member

When you change the fuel filter do you lose a lot of gas or just what is in the lines? I'm going to do this soon and wondering if I should do it with an empty tank?

7. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator Staff Member

No you don't have to empty the gas tank to change the fuel filter, a little will come out not much, just watch your eyes when taking the lines off, and make sure the new one goes back on the same way there should be a arrow that points for flow direction.

8. kashman

kashman Full Member

i had 2 cut mine off on my 95 its just ezr that way took all of 15 min

9. rdlyn13000

rdlyn13000 Senior Member

How do I reconnect after cutting? Chances are I will have to cut it as there is a lot of rust under this truck

10. chevychase

chevychase Senior Moderator Staff Member

Read thread jed..helps greatly just helping .