Chevy Colorado or Toyota Tacoma?

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by renraw9002, Sep 26, 2016.

?

chevy colorado vs toyota tacoma

1. colorado

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. tacoma

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. renraw9002

renraw9002 New Member

I've been driving chevies (chevys?) for years now, but mainly because of the discount I get through my father. Now that his discount doesn't seem to save me as much as it once did I'm thinking about switching things up. I've heard and read good and bad things about both trucks, but they seem to want to compare the diesel version of the colorado vs the tacoma which doesn't seem quite right as the diesel version is simply out of my price range and of course a diesel version is going to have more power and get better gas mileage. That seems like a no-brainer, but as I said it's not a possibility for me plus it's not practical for my needs.

I'm looking for something that's going to be a daily driver, maybe haul some lumber and plywood for my woodworking projects from time to time, but as far as hauling goes that's about it outside of maybe when my wife and I move to a house or we buy something large that needs picked up. What I'd like to know is which is going to last me for years and years to come. I know about chevy's shortcomings in later years through experience. I've heard and read about toyota being known for having vehicle's last for hundreds of thousands of miles, but have no personal experience with them.

Also I don't know what the deal is with chevy, but when I went to a dealership and got prices it was looking like i could only get the 4 cylinder version in my price, but somehow it's looking like I can get a 6 cylinder tacoma in my price range. I plan on leasing either one I get so it'll be a new truck. I would much prefer the 6 cylinder version of either truck, but i'd like some help in this decision. My price is $350 at the absolute max with 0 down payment for those wondering.

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

stay with gm....canyon is meaner looking

gmctrucks likes this.
  3. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    I wouldn't lease a vehicle if I had any other choice I rather ride a bicycle. Those terms and limits on leases are crazy. Rather either pay outright or keep what I have.

Its a toss up really anymore with todays vehicles. There really is no one better than the other all of them have issues and been having issues. They are getting cheaper to build them then put a big sticker price on them.

If I had a choice it would be gm. Toyota has alot of wild stuff under the hood looks like a rat nest of wires and hoses. Gm seem to be easiest to work. Unless you have the funds for shop fees on repairs then either or would work. But if you get the yota with a 6 cylinder over the gm with a 4 I wpuld go that route.

But do test drive both trucks get a good feel for which one you would like.

gmctrucks likes this.
  4. renraw9002

renraw9002 New Member

I'm currently leasing a vehicle and other than the mileage limitations they're not nearly as crazy with the terms and whatnot as I had thought they'd be. I thought they'd be super anal about recording when every oil change was done, every tire rotation, and just anything and everything to do with the vehicle had to be recorded... nope. I talked to gm and ally multiple times and neither one of them give a **** as long as no damage is done to the vehicle and you actually take decent care of it they're not really picky at all.

I just wish I could see a good head to head of chevy's 6 cylinder versus toyota's. I know the chevy gets better gas mileage for sure, but I also know my car never got even close to the gas mileage it supposedly could've so I take those numbers with a grain or 10 of salt.

the one thing that knocks me against chevy (more like the dealerships that sell them) is they only seem to have trucks that all have these stupid bells and whistles that I neither want or need and every chevy dealership I've been to down here tries to push the more expensive versions of the colorado on me even after I say umpteen thousand times I don't want a lot of the extra crap they put on them. With the one chevy salesman I dealt with I even pointed out the colorado i'd be interested in because it had everything I wanted and nothing more and he all, but completely dismissed me. wouldn't even let me test drive it. Why would I want a nav system when I can use my phone? Why would I want my truck that's basically just a daily driver to have ****ing Wifi?

I have yet to go to a Toyota dealership and I kind of expect the same kind of salesmen to deal with, but I planned ahead and it looks like more bare bones version of tacomas are more readily available than their colorado counterparts. Still I have found a few of each vehicle in my price range around here.

5. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I'm with DR I wouldn't lease a vehicle and I also agree with Mr Leo I would stay with GM now if you don't want all the bells and whistles order one the way you want it and let them know that your looking at other GM dealerships and other makes of trucks now about keeping it at $350.00 dollars a month I don't know since all trucks cost so much consider buying a truck that a couple of years old so you won't take the hit of driving off the lot with a new truck and you lose thousands in no time.