Diesel Vs Gas for Outside Sales

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by NoLoyalty, Oct 23, 2016.

1. NoLoyalty

NoLoyalty New Member

My company is going from company supplied leases to a vehicle allowance where we buy our own. I own a Chevy Avalanche but it's got over 175k miles and I generally put 30k-40k miles a year on a vehicle.

With the old lease program, the leasing company covered all repairs, service, gas, insurance, registration/inspection... EVERYTHING. I will be on the hook for that now and want to have a nice truck for an everyday driver and I won't end up upside down on.

2-4 times a year I will pull a boat but other than that, no towing. I'll be delivering materials in it from time to time as well. I've been looking at the TitanXD 5.0L V8 Diesel and the Ram 1500 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel. I don't need the extra power from the diesel but assumed that if diesels have longer engine lives I will be able to sell it for more in 2 years with 70k+ miles. I don't want to buy a $45k gas truck only to end up upside down on it when it's time to sell.

I also don't plan on keeping a truck longer than 2 years because I don't want to take on big repairs out of my own wallet once mfg warranty is out.

Am I right to think diesel or bust on this? If I am, are there any opinions on the Ram EcoDiesel?

MrMarty51 likes this.
  2. OC_truckguy

OC_truckguy New Member

I've driven the new Ram Ecodiesel and it is a fantastic engine. If we were to assume that both engines would depreciate at the same time, the gas engine would be better. i know the Diesel is about $4,200 upgrade. You won't save that much in gas over two years. The fact is though, depreciation is a major thing when it comes to trucks. The diesel will depreciate less, and it will be easier to sell a higher mileage diesel than gasoline engine.

PM me if you need help buying/negotiating the truck, or even offloading a truck you have. I help people buy trucks for a living.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  3. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Maintnece cost for diesel going to be higher fuel filters have to be change regularly oil it may hold more than what a gas burner does. But good maintence on diesels they last a long time but don't like to idle more so with these eco junk and dpf filters they will clog up. Also diesel like to start up and get warm can't drive it a few miles then shut off for the day amd repeat like a gasser its more wear. Diesels like to start and run.

I was thinking at one point if they the goberment force this ethanol fuel at us I would get a diesel but I drive 5 minutes to work for a diesel its not even warm would it wouldn't like it. Vehicles values drop as soon as you exit the lot and go even further with every mile you go.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  4. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Pros and cons on both. The diesel will have a much higher resale value than the gasser. At least in this part of the world.

5. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Also depends on market area for resale. Here in Oklahoma chevy for some reason has a higher resale for gasser. Kinda seems dodge diesels are sought after used than ford or chevy. Up north of course 4x4 have a good resale. Northeners like to come here and snatch up 4x4 trucks since less rust.

6. NoLoyalty

NoLoyalty New Member

The maintenance is where I'm having trouble. I won't have any problem firing it up and driving at least 80 miles (on a slow day). But in a 2 year period and 70k miles, is the premium I pay up front and the maintenance costs going to negate the higher resale value.

I'm starting to think the only way the diesel will be a more fiscally responsible choice will be if I keep the truck for 4 years. I'm still concerned with resale of a semi-high to high mileage gasser. Who here would consider purchasing a 2014 F-150 with 70k miles for $25k or more??

MrMarty51 likes this.
  7. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

I forgot to mention in My last post. Welcome to the forum NL.
    I sure would not, but, I am a GM man. :applaud::rofl:
    Try checking on Craigslist for Your area and also ebay. If You see a wehicle the same year and specd. the same as the 2014 then put it in Your watch list, see how high the bids goes on it. That will give You a much better idea as to the worth of Your vehicle.
    You could also watch the same in a diesel and then when the auction is over compare the prices. Then You will know without a doubt if the diesel units will bring a higher resale value and if the difference would be enough to offset the added expense of owning a diesel.

8. KS1983

KS1983 New Member

Let me just say one thing, it's not a truck unless it's diesel. However, if you aren't looking for great towing power, just an all around truck, go with the gas. You don't need a 3500 Ram twin turbo diesel dually just to drive your kids to school.

9. batty1214

batty1214 Full Member

Mine Mechanic(tire guy)
    The diesels will cost you more in servicing, and most places out where I am the fuel cost is about 30 cents more for diesel. That being said, I get about 7 miles to the gallon better with my diesel than I do with my gasser. I don't know about the dodge, but my buddy got one of the new cummins titans, and has free oil changes for 2 yrs.