front axle / spindle issue

Discussion in '4x4 trucks / off road' started by whippingboy, Jan 11, 2016.

1. whippingboy

whippingboy New Member

I just replaced U-Joints and axle seals on passage side front axle. Upon reassembly, the drive shaft became harder to turn while tightening the spindle to the steering knuckle. to the point where I could not turn the axle once the spindle was all the way fastened. I have since finished attaching the rest of the hub, lockouts and wheel. On the jackstands, with the lockouts "free" the tire spins as it should. With the lockout "locked" the tire does not spin.
    I have not tried to lock the hub and drive it, for fear of further damage.

Has anyone encountered this issue or know of a possible solution?

1982 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 (stock everything)

2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    If the hubs are locked in..., only one wheel is off the ground and the driveshaft isn't turning..., you should not be able to move the wheel which is off the ground. How to check the operation front hubs by j acking up one whee...l and putting the transfer case in 4WD. When both hubs are locked the wheel won't spin...., unlock the hub on the raised wheel and it will turn..., re-lock and it stops. Lower that wheel and jack up the other to check it. I think what your question pertains too?

1 person likes this.
  3. Bad88

Bad88 Full Member

Hello & welcome. It almost sounds as if the axle is not seated in the diff fully and is causing binding at the hub/knuckle. Did you try to spin the axle shaft prior to putting the hub/knuckle back in place?

Can you post some pictures?

1 person likes this.
  4. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

YUP, something is in a bind.
    If the hub is not engaged, the hub should turn freely. do not try to driveum, will damage much components.
    Takeum apart, loosin components, remove back to axle, see where the bind is coming from.
    On the back side of the steering knuckle, there is a mud/dust flange, if the axle is not fully seated into the differential, that flange will be tight up against the back of the steering knuckle.
    Place a larger scr~ew driver into the U~Joint, inside of the steering knuckle, You should be able to wiggle and turn that U~Joint quite freely, with the T~Case in neutral.
    Try that and please report back.
    Welcome to the forum WB.

5. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

OH TOO, With the selector removed from the hub, the axle should be able to be shoved inwards, towards the differential and also, pulled outwards. If the axle is in a bind, it will not move.
    How tight did You tighten the wheel bearings ?
    The inner nut should be just finger tight, the outer nut needs to be torqued.
    O leave a very slight amount of slack on the inner nut, so hub can just be felt to move, tighten and torque outer nut, the slack in the threads will push against the inner nut and remove the slack in the bearings so that, there will be no wiggle left on the hub.

6. whippingboy

whippingboy New Member

The axle/drive shaft seal was not present when I first took axle out and there was dirt in axle shaft. I've since cleaned. I decided to try and instal without seal as well and it works properly. There is very little clearance for a seal (i couldn't fit a finger nail in then space). I'll try to attach pictures.

7. whippingboy

whippingboy New Member

8. whippingboy

whippingboy New Member