How do I remove my steering wheel airbag? 1997 GMC P/U

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by OssipeeSteve, Sep 19, 2011.

1. OssipeeSteve

OssipeeSteve Senior Member

I know I disconnect the battery and let it sit for a while but that's about it. There's a shroud over the back of the wheel which comes of w/ two torx screws. That's where I am. Any help will be appreciated.

Steve

2. chevychase

chevychase Senior Moderator Staff Member

You tube has a few vids on how to remove from your truck.

3. OssipeeSteve

Thanks, I'll head there now.
    S.

4. Pat in Wa

Pat in Wa Full Member

I have a 1997 Sierra when I replaced the old airbag with the new one I
    1. Disconected the battery
    2. Took a small flat screw driver and behind the wheel there's four little holes I pushed in on each and it came right off.
    installing the new one was reverse order. If your replacing the airbag did you get a new Air bag computer ? you deff need to replace the computer I was able to find my passengerside airbag and airbag comp from a company in Arkansas paid $180.00 shipping included

5. OssipeeSteve

Thanks, Pat. This airbag did not deploy. I have the light on the dash and I can hear what sounds like a spring and scratching when spinning the wheel. Here's another question I have for anyone familiar with this, is there a set of brushes in there which may be in need of replacement causing the light given the new noise and the new light? The horn works fine.

I did remove the airbag. and look under the column. Everything is stable and connected.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  6. Pat in Wa

Pat in Wa Full Member

Is it the airbag light going off? you may have to replace the air bag computer. This is located under the drivers seat under the carpet

7. OssipeeSteve

Thanks, Pat. I think I'll do a continuity test up to the connector at the airbag before looking at replacing the computer. That should give me an idea about what I think are brushes to accomodate the spinning of the wheel. If the wiring looks good I'll see about throwing an analyzer on it.