Is it true that you cant find a real mechanic now days?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by davbell22602, Nov 30, 2009.

?

Is it true that you cant find a real mechanic now days?

1. yes

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. other

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. davbell22602

davbell22602 Senior Member

Yes, I can't find one in winchester, va so thats why I been doing my own repairs over 2 years.

I had a 88 f150XL and had to 3 different shops and found something they couldn't fix.

Shop #1 - Said I was loosing a quart anitfreeze cause a bend in radiator hose but that didn't fix it.

Shop # 2 - fixed antifreeze issue by replacing timing gasket set. Then problem with dual tanks cycling gas back and forth. They tried replacing switch but that wasn't it they said. They gave the truck back and said they don't know what it is.

Shop #3 - fixed gas cycling issue by replacing the tank valve. But new problem came with truck using oil and needle not stable on gas gauge. They gave the truck back and said it had that blow bottom end blow back and it gas gauge issue was in the electrical wiring.

Then I decided to trade trade the truck off for something else and after doing that I heard from buddy that the blow back was caused by a pcv valve needing replacing. My buddies dad knew the car lot guy. When I first got the truck back 1997 it 32,000+ miles and still had less than 100,000 when trading it off in december 2005.

2. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

The problem is barley nobody take pride in what they do. I know my buddy next door is one good tech I trust him big times but again it's like one in a million to find a good honest one. Or when I take my truck to get detailed I always tip them so they will do a good job even if it's a cheap $5.00 dollar car wash they do a little extra for me.

3. bradrhale

bradrhale Senior Member

County Environmental Health Inspector
    i think the problem is that everyone thinks that they are an auto expert. ill be the first to admit that i dont know everything nor would i feel comfortable owning my own auto business, but will say that i could run alot of these local people under the table. good knowledgable people are out there but are difficult to find alot of times.

4. semocoachworks

semocoachworks Senior Member

Maintenance Manager for a 60 truck fleet and 4 loc
    I agree Brad, I wouldn't want my own auto shop but a truck shop is different. I would do that in a heartbeat. What I've found lately is you can find alot of parts changers but not real "mechanics". I'm thinking they are a thing of the past. I've had better luck with tech school students wanting to learn rather than a seasoned mechanic. Just my 2 cents!

5. 1500cheyenne96

1500cheyenne96 Senior Member

construction laborer/ hand on family farm
    ME three i know I'm not an auto expert but i do know how to fix most of the problems i have by myself if i don't know i ask or try to find the info somewhere. I have a friend who works for GM as a tech and i trust him with most of the info i have and get but it is true it's just to hard to find an honest trust worthy mechanic out there

6. stumpuller454

stumpuller454 Well-Known Member

I do work on the side.....lol

7. hotrodpc

hotrodpc Full Member

Me too, what I am able to do. This way you can also pick and choose your work. I do not do much anymore, but I will not pass up a bench job GM rear wheel drive tranny job.

8. stumpuller454

stumpuller454 Well-Known Member

I have a buddies diff apart on a 04` toyota sienna, darn seal popped and he ate the pinion brgs and gears out. :rolleyes:

trying to save him a few bucks, its 2k for a whole diff,:eek: hard to find them units at a wreckers, they are all still roling down the hiway! :rofl:

9. BernieB

BernieB Full Member

No problem finding a good mechanic at my place, I just have to look in the mirror. I know the guy is honest, won't BS me, always charges a fair price, and will tell me flat out if the job is something he can't handle.

It's then that finding a different mechanic becomes a chore. :)

Fortunately, I found a local shop that has been around for almost 75 years now, and the current mechanic is the grandson of the guy who opened the place. And yes, his dad and his granddad are still there, every day, watching over the kid to make sure stuff gets done right. Price is a tad high, but they stand 100% behind their work (I used to tell my customers I stand fully behind all my work, especially the brake jobs, but no one really seemed to think about what that implied). If something they fixed goes wrong, you bring it back and they make it right.

Come to think of it, there's two places I know of around here like that. :)

10. bubbatrucklover

bubbatrucklover Senior Member

Home Page:
    Me four I guess. I recently found a GM mechanic whos' hours are cut so if I get to a point on something I can get him to fix what I can't on the cheap. i.e. Window regulator (he said no prob I can do it myself) if not $35 labor GM $130 labor.:no: GM part $149 O'Reilly's gauranteed for life part $99. So even if I pay him labor I'm out $135 as oposed to $238.

He'll be helping me do my Knocks most likely too if need be.

I think with the proper manuals and being a part of multiple forums,the net and some common sense we can do alot more DIY and be as reliable as any paid parts changers.

It is sad that smaller grease monkey shops are going under to (as said )parts changers working at national chains that overbill for what little work they are qualified to do.