leveling 2014 GMC 1500

Discussion in '4x4 trucks / off road' started by mike scarborough, Nov 11, 2016.

?

what is the most perfered choice for leveling 2.5" on the front of a truck? (GMC 1500)

Poll closed Jan 10, 2017.
  1. torsion keys

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. top and bottom strut spacers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. just the bottom strut spacer block

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mike scarborough

mike scarborough New Member

I am wanting to level my truck , and have looked online for the kit. I have found 4 ways to do it......(1) torsion keys, (2)strut spacer and lower strut spacer . (3)and then one offers just the top strut spacer and (4)someone else offers just the bottom spacer block. all of these say that they will raise the front of the truck 2.5" which is what i need to level it. My question I guess is which method is the most preferred. not looking for the easiest. just the the most recommended.

Thanks for your help in advanced , Mike

MrMarty51 likes this.
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Full Member

semi retired
    Home Page:
    I am not a fan of raising the front by cranking the keys etc.....I would use drop shackles on the back to drop it an inch or two. Of course, if you want bigger tires not to rub, never mind....lol

3. mike scarborough

Thanks for the reply. i haven't even thought of lowering the back to get it level. i don't want any bigger than factory wheel and tires, i just want the truck level. no reason other than I just like the looks of a true level truck. Thanks again Poncho62. i will be looking these up.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  4. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Its easier to change the rear shackles and lower the rear to make the truck level.

The reason trucks sit higher in the rear is the automakers take in fact that a truck will haul or tow. Making the rear a tad higher when loaded then makes truck level without "lifting" the front end making control and braking risky.

Look for lowering shackles some even flip or switch the rear leaf springs to raise or lower the rear but I wouldn't go that route and would choose lowering shackle.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  5. Kennyray

Kennyray Moderator
    Staff Member

Maintenance
    Or you could take out the factory block that's between the springs and axle.

MrMarty51 and leolkfrm like this.
  6. mike scarborough

I just came back in from the shop Kennyray, i was putting on some running boards and i happened to look back at the spring and the axle and saw that little block. so i thought to myself, thats what im going to try first. I really appreciate the information from you and all the people that have responded.
    thanks again.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  7. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    They also get taller blocks to raise trucks that way too along with shackles get 3 inch pretty easy. I would measure that block thats going to tell you have far down it will lower should be about 2 or 3 inches but may be enough to level.

Also get a good can of penatrating spray and soak those u bolts nuts. They maybe rusted up sometimes they come right off.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  8. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

I raised up the front of Mine K3500 by giving the torsion bar key bolts a five full turns. The slightly larger than stock front tires no longer bump the fender well corners when hitting a bump and cornering.
    I had three adults and two 12 year olds in it going to the cabin last weekend and it never bumped once.
    Handles great and so far no sign of uneven tire wear. It raised the front about two inches.

9. ISLAND TRITON

ISLAND TRITON Full Member

Just a tip folks.......a 2014 1500 does not have torsion bars......gm has been using coilovers for front springs since 2007 on the 1500s (the 2500 and 3500s retain the torsion bars)

I'm more used to fords, and levels seem to take the form of a coil spacer on top for those, but the lower extension seems more common on the GM. I can't comment on how the 2 differ, but the easiest way would be to lower the rear as said, and adds zero stress to the front end, where as the 2.5 front leven adds sone stress. that would put such a truck too low for me, but that's personal preference.

kbrown11 likes this.
  10. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    I can only speak for the torsion bar set up. There are kits out there that consists of a rear leaf spring and larger torsion keys. That is the way to go if looking to level your rig, IMOP.