location of electronic spark control module 1995 chevy.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by ranger1958, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ranger1958

ranger1958 Full Member

I need help locating the electronic spark control module on a 1995 chevy truck. Some think that it's on the bracket the map sensor, but it's not there. It's there on the earlier models but not the 95. Any help would be appreciated.

2. chevychase

chevychase Senior Moderator Staff Member

You will not find it it is integrated in the ecm/ computer... you may still have the braket for 88 to 93.

3. ranger1958

ranger1958 Full Member

So if I'm getting a code that says it's not working, then I will need a new computer?

4. chevychase

No not necessarily... which code are you getting 42, 43? Could be a few things wrong... knock sensor bad, Connections at ecm loose, weak ign. module ect.
    First thing to do clear code drive see if it comes back. What symptoms do you have?

5. ranger1958

ranger1958 Full Member

spark control module

The check engine light is on. Here is what happened, swapped out a motor. Truck was running fine just over 230,000 it was starting to use oil and leak some. Upon installing new motor we forgot and left the - battery cable unhooked the small braided bonding strap took the full amperage. after the ground cable was installed the check engine light was on. Can't remember the number but the code reader said electronic spark control module failure. Truck will run, but sluggish and runs rough at times. As soon as you clear the code it comes right back and each time the same thing. I think without the proper ground it killed it. I found a used computer for $40.00. So that's where I'm at. Thanks for the help.

6. chevychase

If that does not do it .. try changing the ignition control module May have damaged it.
    Be sure to put plenty of silicone under it.

7. ranger1958

ranger1958 Full Member

module problems.

I made a trip to the salvage today and picked up a used computer for $40.00.

I was sure that was the problem, installed it and same symptoms. I had an extra distributor laying around and tried it. Fired right up and ran great! So this got my curiosity up, so I swapped out the modules. Still ran fine,come to find out it was the pick up coil. Had burn marks all on the inside. Anyway thanks to all who offered suggestions.

1 person likes this.
  8. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator Staff Member

How was it running at all with the pick up coil bad? Good thing you got it fixed, if you had to change the pick up coil the distributor has to come out, remove the gear, shaft slides out and the pick coil can be removed.

1 person likes this.
  9. chevychase

Glad you have it fixed ... and posting the fix for others to read.

1 person likes this.
  10. ranger1958

ranger1958 Full Member

it ran like the timing was moving all around, lots of popping in the exhaust. It would die alot and run really rough, hard starting.No power.

1 person likes this.