"Low Beam Positive" wire?

Discussion in 'Toyota Truck Forum' started by temeculabp, Jul 4, 2015.

1. temeculabp

temeculabp New Member

Hi,

I have a '95 Extra Cab 2wd. I'm adding a DRL control module to turn off my daytime running lights (too bright for night) when my low beam headlights are turned on. The back of the headlight bulb has a 3 wire connector. How do I know which wire is the "Low Beam Positive" wire?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    1 person likes this.
  3. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Welcome to the forum temeculabp and, thank You for posting in Your question{s}.
    The relay can be controlled with a simple toggle switch, hooked to either the power + wire at the relay. Clip that wire and hook a toggle switch into it.
    Also, that relay could be controlled to turn on the DTRLs, with the brights turned on, by hooking a wire to the bright lights + then, installing another relay and, hooking that relay into the DTRLs relay, controlling the input of the DTRLs relay.
    With the second suggestion, those relays could be controlled with a three position switch, four wire, or possibly a six wire switch, center, both relays off, one position, DTRLs off, other position, DTRLs come on when the brights are turned on.

1 person likes this.
  4. temeculabp

temeculabp New Member

I got a test light and located the low beam positive wire...thanks!

The DRL's came with a wire harness and control module...one wire to the positive batt post, one to the negative, and the wires to the lamps. There was one extra wire that you splice into the low beam positive wire. When I start my truck now the DRL's come on and turn off when I turn off the engine. In the evening when I turn my headlamps on the DRL control module senses power to the headlights and shuts the DRL's off immediately. I used to live in Canada and DRL's have been mandatory on cars since 1995. I just like the added safety of being VISIBLE even on a sunny day. I installed 2 Cree LED 2x6 inch lamps and they are SOO BRIGHT there's no way I could have them on at night. I got the lamps, harness, and control module for less than $50 on Ebay...VERY pleased with the results!

2 people like this.
  5. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Another story of success, good to hear these.
    Any more situations arise, hop right in.
    Could also check in daily and, let us know what the weather is like in Your area. We like pics. too, a pic. of Your truck would be GREAT ! ! ! !

6. Kushner

Kushner New Member

You are absolutely right. I totally agree with you here. Keep sharing.

1 person likes this.
  7. temeculabp

temeculabp New Member

I want to make sure I don't "short-circuit" anyone's truck, so let me try to be very specific...my truck is a 2wd, extra-cab, 4cyl, auto trans, a/c, produced 10/94.

The headlamp plug has 3 red wires...one with a WHITE tracer stripe, one with a GREEN tracer, one with a YELLOW tracer. The red wire with the YELLOW tracer stripe was the low-beam positive wire.

1 person likes this.
  8. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

:idea: UHHHhhh, by the way, what would be the make, model and year ? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. Kushner

Kushner New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, Hope i will enjoy my stay here,.

1 person likes this.
  10. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    1 person likes this.