Low Oil Pressure...kinda

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by SQBADOG, Dec 4, 2017.

1. SQBADOG

SQBADOG Full Member

Healthcare...or whats about to be whats left of it
    Started driving the 05 Denali Yuki the other day and the low oil pressure flashed in front of my eyes.

So, turned it around, there was pressure, but it was low. Home, checked oil level. Fine. Listened to heads...fine.

Ok, so through a new sensor in, and...still got message.

So I dig some more, as this is a 6.0, and I see some stuff about a filter under the sensor you should replace. Ok, go to the dealer. Get me one, talk to a mechanic while waiting, says he always replaces it, but said he always checks the oil pressure at the filter.

Get gome, use a pick and I use a pick and finally call the dealer back with the vin, and there is no filter on this truck.

So, put it back in, nowmit works. Next day, drive to Chicago, 12 hours each way for thanksgiving. Changed oil before I left. Did t use a drop. Come home, no problem, and have message again. Check switch with Ohm meter. Switch is fine. Ok, it's past me, other than hooking up a manual gauge at the sensor. Suggestions?

2. Kennyray

Kennyray Moderator
    Staff Member

Maintenance
    Is the pressure dropping? Those motors have an o-ring on the oil pump pick ip tube that can leak also causing oil pressure to fluctuate and drop.

gmctrucks likes this.
  3. SQBADOG

SQBADOG Full Member

Interesting. This morning was very cold. Started the car with the remote start, let it run for a few, went out drive it and the low oil pressure message came up. When I rev'd the engine, oil pressure went up. Drove it for a couple of miles, at idle, oil pressure dropped. After about 5 miles, the oil pressure now held.

Does that sound like it could be?

4. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

5. SQBADOG

SQBADOG Full Member

I have seen all of these, it's all over the spectrum. 2007 and up have a screen filter in them, took me a while to figure out my 6.0 did not have it even though they claim it applied to 05's. I am only at 140k and this was sudden. Not a slow over time issue. The reason why I am leaning with the o-ring is I have a Kubota Diesel, and the colder it got, the less the hydrostatic transmission wanted to work. Dealer just quoted me a new transmission, yeah right. On the Kubota forum, a guy form Northern Alberta explained my seals were going, he had me put it in the garage, heat the garage and sure enough, the thing worked great. Next day, left it out and didn't move. He had me put in...for get the name of the stuff, but it is strictly for seals, it's like clear water. That was 6 years ago. Tractor still runs better than the day I bought it. Think I am going to dump this in. If it the seal, this should take care of it. I run Lucas in it already.

gmctrucks likes this.